Chapter 6

Pokémon Master, 'Champion' has completed the first three regions of his review of the Pokémon League. He has replaced 9 out of the 24 gym leaders in Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh as well as replacing Professor Elm, the active researcher for Johto. Whilst his actions have been met with approval in the respect of improving the League, his methods are coming under question for being excessively harsh. The replacement of Gym Leader Pryce of Mahogany Town Gym in particular is coming under intense criticism for his forcible removal. Furthermore, the lack of notice being given leaves the replaced Gym Leaders with few places to go; they are apparently being forced to rely on friends and family until they can sort themselves out. Gym Leader Norman Maple of Petalburg Gym, another replaced leader, spoke of how he was ordered out of his home and had to move to a different region to stay with a family friend that has space. Ex-Pokémon Master, Cynthia Shirona refused to comment on her successors actions, although the fact that she now works at the Indigo Plateau implies a degree of agreement with 'Champions' actions. The last league to review is Kanto, which was expected to start this morning, but he has not arrived yet.

Delia Ketchum flicked off the news report, before turning to her guests. Norman and Caroline Maple had called her after being ordered out of their home the previous week, and she had welcomed them staying with her. Norman was still in a degree of shock, but was recovering. It was noon in Pallet Town, and they were sat in the Ketchum kitchen, drinking tea. Silence reigned, as it had predominantly since the Maple's arrival. It wasn't that they had nothing to talk about but more that Caroline and Norman were trying to come to terms with the events that led to them being thrown out of their home. Caroline didn't blame her husband, but she was in shock that the Pokémon Master had that kind of authority that meant he could do such a thing. Norman was staring at his tea, looking like he wanted to drown himself in it. He had been totally and utterly humiliated; not only had he lost his job, but two of his most powerful Pokémon had been taken out by a single attack. He had thought he was a strong trainer, and felt he should have been able to survive longer, even against such a deadly opponent. Now he knew how Misty felt when she was defeated. Utterly helpless against such power.

Norman's attention was returned to the present by the sound of the door opening, Professor Oak stepping in. The Kanto Professor had called in on the house every day, speaking to Norman about a right of appeal. Since it had been so long since a Gym Leader was replaced, the researcher had to go deep into League records. He had told them that he would have the results by today, and was here to discuss their options.

"There is some good news for you" Professor Oak started. "Not much, but you have something to work with."
If the researcher didn't have Norman's full attention before, he did now. "Go on."
"There is a right of appeal, if you have been wrongly dismissed from your role by the Pokémon Master. The question is, have you."
"We reviewed my battling record, it was better than some of the leaders he didn't fire."
"Indeed. However, being a Gym Leader didn't used to be just about battling, unfortunately, when these rules were made, it was down to what Gym Leaders had to do at the time. These regulations were made back at the original foundation of the league. If you were a gym leader then, you actually had a quota of trainers that had to be trained each year. If you failed to maintain a school of at least the size of the quota, you were given an official warning. If you then failed again inside the next three years, there were grounds for your removal."
"But Norman's been leader for seventeen years" Caroline interjected. "And he's not been given a warning in any of them, or trained other trainers; he wasn't told he had to."
"Indeed." Professor Oak said. "He wasn't told he had to, but the regulations never changed, they were simply forgotten. I had Gary dig these out; he's actually quite good at it. The fact that you didn't train any trainers in all these years implies that your removal is valid, but the fact that you were never given a warning is in your favour. You could argue that you have a year to fix it."
"Despite the fact that I managed to miss out on nearly two decade's worth of teaching?"
"Yes. I don't guarantee success, simply because you did miss out years. This is however the best I can do. I'm sorry."