Chapter 18

Ladies and Gentleman, the first match for Misty Waterflower in her regional league début. The talented trainer from Cerulean has never competed in any regional league, and has not appeared in a competitive match since her match against the Pokémon Master five months ago. One of the criticisms leveled at her during her career is that she cannot compete against the best trainers in regional leagues as she has only ever competed in minor leagues up to now. And what a début it is for her, Misty having been drawn against a man who is no stranger to big competitions. Joseph has competed in the last 5 Johto Leagues, and has finished in the top 4 in three of them, although not in his previous outing. This should be a good test of the credentials of Misty, somebody who has already been hailed as a potential winner."

As the announcer continued to drone on to the stadium, Misty was stood inside her preparation room. She remembered the last time she had been in one of these, halfway through her test match against 'Champion'. This time however, she felt her chances of winning were substantially higher. Her opponent wasn't the strongest trainer in memory. Her opponent in fact, she was confident that she could beat. That wasn't the reason for the nerves that were making her shaky. It was the expectation from her friends. Although she had been watched at various times by her friends, there was a higher level of expectation this time. She had never appreciated the pressure that the competitors had been under, it was ever really evident when you were sat in the stands.

One person who completely understood was Gary, who was stood next to her, an arm draped over one of her shoulders. He had spent the two days between her match being announced and now trying to comfort her. Now, there was nothing more that he could do. It was up to her.

Above their heads a buzzer sounded. Misty looked up, before turning to Gary, pecking him on the cheek and stepping out into the stadium. Behind her, Gary sat on a bench to watch. He had made a promise that he would be there for every match, ready to give comfort. He knew better than most the pressure and stress that these tournaments put on people. He had gone through them when he was young, and had competed against his childhood rival and friend at this very tournament.

As Misty stepped out, there was a roar from the crowd, which caused Misty to sway slightly. She regained her composure before stepping into her trainer's box. Looking out across the field, she saw her opponent, a middle-aged man smiling at her. She smiled back, before looking up to the scoreboard. It flashed several times, before her name lit up. She had to choose first. Reaching down to her Pokéball belt, Misty drew back her arm and threw out her chosen Pokémon.

Golduck appeared before her in a flourish, standing proud. Across the stadium, her opponent hurled out his Pokéball, leaving an Ursaring standing in front of her. Misty smiled to herself; a trainer who trusted in strength to triumph. She felt the nerves start to slip away as she called out her first command.

"Golduck, Water Gun."

The Duck Pokémon fired its attack straight across the field, crashing into Ursaring who was too slow to get out-of-the-way. The Hibernator Pokémon crashed down, caught out, before climbing to its feet roaring once again.

"Ursaring, close in and use Hammer Arm" Joseph called, only for the charging Pokémon to be knocked back once again by another Water Gun. Ursaring surged up once again, and pushed through a third Water Gun, before being sent sprawling by the power of Golduck's Hydro Pump. As Ursaring climbed up once again, Misty smirked.

She knew Joseph's strategy; he usually relied on Ursaring's endurance to close the distance before using its physical strength to pound opponents into the ground. A strategy that would be effective against most opponents, but Golduck was too strong for Ursaring. In fact, the power of Golduck's attacks was something of great pride for Misty; she has spent so long working with the Duck Pokémon on focusing its attacks, making them hit a smaller area with a corresponding increase in power. Something that Joseph had clearly realized as he ordered Ursaring to fire a Hyper Beam.