Chapter 17

Misty and Gary watched Sam and Mellanie make their way towards them across the cafeteria. They had arrived late the previous night, and got checked into rooms, although the two youngsters still didn't know that Misty was competing. She had just said that she was there "for the tournament" not stating why. Gary had been happy to see the two of them when Misty had brought them back to the car, remembering with fondness the refreshing day he had spent with them at the training camp. Both Misty and Gary had found that the two youngsters had been different from the other trainers simply because they were more willing to learn. They had no illusions that they could learn and were both willing enough. It had definitely endeared them to the specialists who were teaching them.

"Morning." Gary said with a warm smile.

"Good Morning." Mellanie replied.

"Have you two registered for the League yet?" Gary continued. "You can do it at a Pokémon Centre if you haven't yet."

Sam shook his head. "We'll do it after breakfast."

Gary nodded and turned back to his cereal. He and Misty had offered to look after the youngsters who were clearly daunted by the size of the Johto League. Although, Gary himself was impressed with the level of organisation. With still nearly a week to go until the tournament actually started, it was clear that they were more than ready for it. Gary remembered the one time he had been asked to help out with the Indigo League. It had exhausted for him, constantly under time pressure. It made him smile, as Sam and Mellanie chatted away, oblivious to the organisation required to get a tournament running. If they were lucky, they would never know. They would never get sucked into the mind-numbingly dull work that had to be done. They could just compete.

After breakfast, the group of four had headed over to the nearest Pokémon Centre. Misty had gone in earlier to register, so didn't need to anymore. After Sam and Mellanie had done so, they headed out to a practice area to train. It became a daily routine over the next few days, Sam and Mellanie would train along with Misty, and Gary would give advice where required. They were unaware however, of how their training had attracted the interest of a certain pair of men.

"Impressive, wouldn't you say?" Lance asked Steven, as they watched the fast paced practice battle between Sam and Mellanie.

"Definitely. How long have they been trainers?"

"Less than a year. They were the last two that Professor Elm registered."

"What a legacy. Those two could go far here."

"I wonder where their Pokémon learned to be so responsive so fast." Lance mused.

"It's simple." A voice came from behind Lance and Steven. "Their Pokémon trained with mine for a day at the training camp some time ago. They learned from Pokémon that have been doing it for years."

Lance turned to see the Pokémon Master striding towards them. "May I ask why?" the Johto Champion asked.

"I saw that they had potential. I am merely helping them fulfil it."

"So what did your Pokémon teach them?"

"I'll show you later. I will be busy, but I can spare two Pokémon to teach."

Lance and Steven stared. The Pokémon Master never offered to teach anybody. His Pokémon were so powerful, and nobody was sure why. And yet there was a golden opportunity to get stronger being offered to them. They would have been foolish to refuse it.