Chapter 7

The Pewter City Gym door swung open with a rumble. Pokémon Master, Ash Ketchum stepped through and looked around. The Gym's battlefield was a standard rock field which he remembered from when he was last there. He looked up to the ceiling to note that the sprinklers were no longer there, smiling to himself with respect to the first gym battle he had ever fought. He stepped further into the gym, to see the Gym Leader stand up from where he had been sitting at the far end of the field. Forrest stepped forward and started to speak.

"I would normally start this with a challenge, but here I don't think that is wise. Welcome to my Gym 'Champion'."

Ash looked at the leader and nodded, striding to the centre of the field. He stood, did a full turn looking around the field, and then looked back at Forrest.

"I will let you know when I'm finished." Ash then turned and strode through a door at the side of the arena, to look around the gym more, leaving Forrest to sit back down and get his breathing back under control.

Ash stepped into a room which was an exercise room. It was in use by two men, who looked up at Ash and were about to get up before he gestured for them to carry on with what they were doing. He proceeded through the rest of the gym before returning to the main arena. In there he found Forrest battling, and Brock refereeing. He stood and watched Forrest's Onix be defeated by his opponents Wartortle, stepping forward after the challenger had left the Gym.

"Forrest, your Gym passes. The attached Breeder Center is impressive credit for I believe must go to you Brock Slate. Keep up the good work here, and you'll not here from me very often. Questions?"
"You know about me?" Brock asked.
"You were interviewed by me two months ago for the review of the license of Misty Waterflower."
Brock blinked. He hadn't realized that he would be remembered so clearly by the Pokémon Master.
"Do I need to improve on anything?" Forrest enquired.
"Nothing yet. Once the review is complete, I will send out further instructions."
"Nothing else. Thank you 'Champion'."

Ash nodded and strode out of the Gym, released Charizard and flew into the sky, heading straight for Cerulean City.

"Hey! Hey you! I challenge you to a Pokémon battle!"

James opened his eyes, to see a man stood in front of him. The man was wearing flamboyant clothes, a bright yellow shirt with an orange pattern, and electric blue trousers. He had a Pokéball in his hand, and was glaring at James. James looked to his side and saw Meowth lying there, asleep.

"Oi! Are you gonna battle or not?"

James turned back to the man in front of him, before smoothly standing up.

"Where I come from, I usually introduce myself before I fight somebody." James said, whilst smiling civilly at the man in front of him who was now fuming. "So, shall we try this again? Hello, I'm James Kojiro, may I inquire as to your name?" the purple-haired trainer said, whilst extending his hand.
"I don't care who you are, battle me!" screamed the furious man.
"Very well. Shall we go for a two on two?"
"Make it a double battle kid, I don't have time for long fights"
"Well you did challenge me. I accept. A double battle it is." James reached down and expanded a pair of Pokéballs. "Growlie, Pichu, its battle time."

James' childhood Growlithe appeared in front of him, before turning to lick his face, whilst Pichu hid behind his trainers leg. James smiled down at the small electric type. It had been nearly five years since Pichu had agreed to come with him. James had spent months searching for one, as he wanted to keep one as a mark of respect to the Pokémon that turned him into a trainer. Pichu had trained with Pikachu and had become far stronger. The two insisted on a spar every time they met. However, despite all this time, Pichu still loved to play games. Pretending to be timid was his favorite, if he was in a battle he would invariably hide behind James leg to lure his opponent into making a mistake. James knew this, and despite trying to change his Pokémon, Pichu carried on. Turning his attention back to his opponent, James raised an eyebrow.