Chapter 15

Cynthia was sat behind her desk when the phone rang.

"Cynthia?" It was her receptionist. "There is somebody here to see you. Norman Maple, ex-Gym Leader."

Cynthia was surprised. Norman coming all the way to Sinnoh to see her? She didn't understand why. What could she have that he might want. He should know that she wouldn't try to give him a Gym; her place in Indigo had been tacit approval of 'Champions' actions. She could just have him sent away, she had plenty to do. Yet, then she would never know what he wanted. Making a decision, Cynthia spoke into the mouthpiece.

"Send him up."

The door opened, and Norman was there. He walked in, and took the proffered seat, before looking at Cynthia. The Sinnoh Champion didn't say anything at first, merely studied him. The man in front of her looked worn, like he had been overworked. Stress was written into his face. Cynthia didn't need to ask to know what caused that. Yet as he bore her gaze there was still a power in him, he had been tried by the recent events, but not broken.

"What can I do for you then Mr Maple?" she finally asked.

"I want your help" he said. "I want to be able to run a gym again."

"You know I can't give you that." Cynthia said calmly. "I've been removed from the Pokémon Masters staff, and there are no free gyms in Sinnoh, the new limits to my authority. But you know that. So why did you come to me?"

"Because you will understand." Norman said. "'Champion' is in the wrong from what he is doing. Replacing anybody who displeases him is not the way to run a nation."

"I will understand?" Cynthia asked.

"You were replaced as well." Norman said. "You have been on the receiving end of his actions."

Cynthia surveyed the man in front of her. In the time since she had reached Sinnoh, she had been able to conduct more research into the Pokémon Master. She had tracked down more records of aura users, since that was the only thing that she had found that could explain his eyes. There hadn't been a recorded sighting for centuries, but there was no conclusive evidence that they had died out.

She had also found stories of what they could do, healing Pokémon and blocking attacks. All seemed similar to what 'Champion' could do. As a result, she had concluded that he was an aura-user. Such an ability made her inherently wary of the man, and now Norman seemed to be encouraging her to take a stance opposing his commands, something which had cost her a great deal when she did it first time.

"What did you have in mind?" she asked.

"Simple." Norman said. "We would have to have him replaced as Pokémon Master."

Cynthia stared at Norman like he had just suggested they create a planet. She had seen first-hand how powerful the man's Pokémon were, as well as how flawless his strategies. Defeating him was simply impossible to consider.

"Norman." Cynthia said. "You know that I was considered the best in a generation and that I didn't even beat one of his Pokémon? How do you suggest we beat all six?"

Norman's face fell. "I was hoping you might have an idea" he said sadly. "I've faced his Charizard as well, it took out two of my strongest in a single attack. I can't think of anything that could stand against it."