Chapter 28

The courtroom rose for the Judge Halsey as he limped in, a wound from an old training accident. He was the most senior judge in the four regions, and as such had been chosen to preside over the most important court case. The courtroom was completely packed, with the media being given a large allotment, and space being given to representatives of the victims, so that they could see justice for their dead being done. The defendants were the topmost hierarchy of Team Rocket; Giovanni and Agent foremost among them.

There were also three men who were leaders of other parts of Team Rocket, and the head of the team of scientists that had created the Pokémon armour. The expectation would be that the trial would be extremely short. Given that each of the defendants had been captured during an attack against Team Rocket, it was impossible for any of them to deny association with the organisation. Added to that, the testimony from the Pokémon Master which would almost certainly be given, would most likely be enough to convict them. As the charges against each defendant were read out, several of the Rockets winced. When the Deputy reached Agent he took a deep breath.

"Agent stands accused of over two thousand accounts of murder by terrorist actions, one account of terrorism, one account of conspiracy to commit terrorist actions, one account of conspiracy to commit treason, eight accounts of kidnapping, eight accounts of abuse of humans and one account of abuse of Pokémon." There was a ripple of noise through the courtroom as the charges were laid, charges far greater than anybody else. There was also surprise that Agent had been accused of the attack on Silver Stadium; his role in Team Rocket was not public knowledge.

"Giovanni Sakaki stands accused of over two thousand accounts of murder by terrorist actions, one account of terrorism, one account of conspiracy to commit terrorist actions, one account of conspiracy to commit treason, eight accounts of kidnapping humans, eight accounts of abuse of humans, one account of attempting to murder a Pokémon, nineteen accounts of abuse of Pokémon and one account of extended experimentation on Pokémon."

Silence fell throughout the courtroom. When all the crimes that the Pokémon League felt that they could prove were laid out, Giovanni felt giddy. He had barely slept since he had spoken to 'Champion' two days ago. With only the charges of terrorism laid against him, he knew he would likely be executed. With all the crimes that were actually laid out, he had no chance.

The trial started to move quickly. All of the defendants pleaded guilty as expected, Giovanni sighing as he did so. He knew that he had no choice, the whole thing was politically based; the world needed to see him and Agent punished. He had considered forcing them to reveal the full weight of evidence against them, but knew that it would make no difference. All he would be doing would be revealing everything he had done to the world. He wanted to go to his fate with at least some dignity remaining. There was a short break, as the judge left the room, and the assembled media shifted impatiently. When Judge Halsey returned, there was a tired look to his features, almost resigned to what he had to do.

It was the headline that caught the attention of Gary Oak. The researcher had gone back to Pallet Town after the impromptu end of the Silver Conference, to spend some time with his grandfather. Samuel Oak had insisted on showing Gary the workings of his laboratory, determined that his grandson could take his place after he retired. The unspoken suggestion was that retirement could be approaching and Gary suspected that his grandfather was only waiting for him to be ready to settle down in a permanent job. Gary had been on a break from the lab, walking through the town, when he saw the headline on the front page of the newspaper in front of a corner shop. He stopped to have a closer look.

"Rocket élite to be executed?"

Despite pleading guilty at their trial yesterday, the boss of Team Rocket, Giovanni Sakaki and number two, who goes only by the title of Agent, face the possibility of execution. It has been confirmed by the Pokémon League that the decision will be given over to the Gym Leaders of all four regions. The two men, on trial for their hand in the savage terrorist attack on Silver Stadium during the final of the Silver Conference would be the first to be executed since Edward Scnitter, ninety-seven years ago.