Chapter 24

Outside Indigo Stadium, the face of the Pokémon League, a platform had been set up with a podium on it. In front of the stage was a media presence larger than ever before seen. Hundreds of reporters were there, representing every news network, major and minor. Loudspeakers were set up around the area, microphones crammed in front of the podium, cameras pointed to get every possible angle. Two days after the event the world was waiting for the response of the Pokémon League to the attack on Silver Stadium. They had been given no information, just told to come to a statement by the Pokémon Master.

Inside Indigo stadium was Ash Ketchum, quietly standing next to Lance Waturu and Steven Stone. The three of them knew that they finally had to reveal the organization behind the attack as well as the full extent of the damage and the losses. The blow to the Pokémon Leagues image would be terrible. Furthermore, the missing presence of Cynthia hung over them. The Sinnoh Champion should have been there and her absence would not go unnoticed.

Ash felt something brush against his leg. He looked down to see his Espeon rubbing against him. He knelt, and petted her head making her purr. Inside his head he felt her presence. He stood up, and turned to face his immediate subordinates. He could not allow himself any more moments as Ash Ketchum until the crisis was resolved. For the foreseeable future, Ash had to become 'Champion'. The Pokémon Master. The strongest battler in the world. The man who would bring vengeance upon those who committed acts of terrorism.

As they ascended the platform, silence fell throughout the throng. It was possible to hear the wind blowing. Many of the reporters looked nervous; they had been assured that 'Champion' himself had guaranteed their safety, that his Pokémon were around, defending the area. It hadn't inspired the same amount of confidence it would have a week previously. Like the image of the Pokémon League, 'Champions' aura of invincibility had been tarnished by the attack. Despite this, he still looked powerful.

Dressed in his usual colour his clothes were still a bit different. The hat remained, covering his face. The trousers were identical to his usual, but his torso was no longer covered by a jacket. His shirt revealed his muscles, and the cloak blew around him, giving him a windswept look. He emanated a combination of power, ruggedness and anger. It was an intimidating combination but exactly what he had needed to convey.

"Two days ago there was an unprovoked, violent attack on a peaceful competition." 'Champion' started, speaking into the absolute silence. "The Johto League, like the other three regional tournaments has long had a history of being a peaceful way for trainers to compete and Pokémon to show their strength and ability.

Even in times of war there would be a truce over these tournaments, and anybody would be allowed to compete. Two days ago that changed. Two days ago history was ignored and a new precedent set. Two days ago, during the final of the tournament a series of detonations of explosives underneath Silver Stadium occurred. These detonations were designed with only one thing in mind. They were designed to kill."

'Champions' words sank into the crowd, but the silence prevailed. Across the four regions viewers waited with bated breath to see what his response would be. As the de facto leader of all four regions, 'Champion' had a huge amount of authority and power, and he spoke for the governments across all four.

"In the two days since, I have worked with my Pokémon to analyse what happened." 'Champion' continued. "We have gone over the security measures that enabled this attack to happen, and we have looked at ways of preventing anything in the future. We have confirmed the damage and casualty statistics. We have investigated the motives for the attack. We have investigated the method for the attack. And we have identified the organisation responsible."