Chapter 32

Latios." Gary said quietly. "So Tobias brings out his second known legendary."

"I didn't expect 'Champion' to lose a Pokémon…" Misty said. "How strong is Rayquaza?"

"He is legendary." Gary answered. "So very."

"But Darkrai was beaten…"

"Yes. But if Altaria is one of 'Champions' weakest, and she didn't really get a strong hit on Rayquaza, who definitely got a few solid ones in on her, then her losing isn't surprising. Particular when you compare the power of her attacks to Sceptile's…"

"She may not be in prime fighting shape, but that Altaria was beautiful…" Brock said wistfully. "I wonder what he feeds her…"

Gary laughed. "Brock, all of his Pokémon are beautiful. Just look at the shine on Espeon's coat."

"I know, but still." Brock said. "That Altaria was something else. They are rare Pokémon as it is, and to see one in such good shape…" He trailed off as they turned their attention back to the field.

"It looks like a Psychic battle folks!" The announcer called. "Espeon takes on Latios. Another debut for one of 'Champions' Pokémon, against Latios, the second Pokémon that Tobias used when he won the Sinnoh League all those years ago. There appears to be a grudge between these two given their glares. Espeon in particular looks angry."

"Latios, Luster Purge." Tobias ordered with a smile. Latios lifted into the air before firing a purple beam at Espeon.

"Espeon, Psychic." Ash said coldly. Espeon's eyes glowed and Latios let out a cry of surprise. The Luster Purge began to arc around towards the Eon Pokémon who was struggling in mid-air but was unable to move out of the way. At the last moment Latios was able to escape from Espeon's grip and the Luster Purge shot passed. On the field Ash raised an eyebrow before looking pointedly at his Pokémon, who didn't respond. Suddenly the attack reversed direction behind Latios and crashed into the Pokémon. Latios growled in response before firing another Luster Purge. Espeon didn't even bother redirecting this one. A shield appeared in front of her and the attack simply dissolved against it.

"Latios, use Giga Impact!" Tobias called, an edge creeping into his voice once again. Latios threw himself forwards, glowing. Espeon just watched him come with an almost bored look in her eyes.

"Espeon, time to put some training into practice." Ash said. "Psychic again."

Espeon's eyes glowed and for a moment nothing happened. Then there was a loud crack and a large chunk of the ground shot up and crashed into Latios. The Eon Pokémon's attack stopped and then he reversed and was thrown into the ground before being lifted slightly into the air again.

"Toxic." Ash ordered. A series of purple bolts shot into the sky and hit Latios before he had a chance to dodge. He screamed in pain before slowly sinking back to the ground.

"Latios, get back into the air!" Tobias shouted, alarm evident in his voice. Before Latios could move however, Ash struck again.

"Espeon, Psychic to hold it in place, then Future Sight."

Espeon's eyes glowed again and Latios froze. There was a glint in Espeon's eyes and then nothing. Suddenly Latios glowed purple and let out a cry of pain.