Chapter 35

Are you sure about this?" Gary asked.

Delia smiled as she hugged the young Professor. "Yes. Your grandfather was insistent."

Gary sighed. "If you're with him you'll be out of contact." He said warningly. "If Ash does come back…" He trailed off, allowing Delia's mind to fill in the rest.

"Then it's up to you to make sure he doesn't leave." Delia said.

Gary smiled ruefully. "That'll be difficult." He paused before deciding to take the plunge on a question. "Delia… Why now? Why are you leaving?"

"Because I feel something good about this." Delia said. "I don't know what it is, but it feels right to go now."

Gary nodded, before stepping away. "Then I wish you luck." He looked down at Pikachu who was by Delia's side. "And you, look after her." Pikachu grinned and gave Gary a thumbs up. The Electric-Type had been surprised at Delia's request for him to go with her, but had agreed easily enough. He had once belonged to her son, it was fitting that he eventually followed her. And if he spent too long cooped up he'd get bored again. This was a chance for adventure for him.

As Delia turned and started to walk away, Pikachu running alongside her, Gary waved before walking back to his laboratory. It felt weird to be the last one of his old friends in Pallet. His grandfather was gone, Ash was gone, and Delia was gone. Everybody in the town knew him as a researcher, none seemed to remember him as a kid who had left twelve years ago.

"It's time for the new generation." Gary said out loud. There was a noise from behind him and he turned to see Misty watching him. She had already said her goodbyes to Delia, before disappearing into the lab. It was hard for her; Delia had taken her last ties to Ash.

"What do you mean?" The red head asked.

"What I say." Gary said with a smile. "Have you not noticed the next generation taking over slowly but surely?" Misty shrugged so Gary continued. "Since I became a trainer, two regional Professors and a large number of Gym leaders have changed."

"Not all willingly." Misty put in. Gary nodded.

"Indeed, not all willingly. But they've changed. Our generation is beginning to take over."

"Is there a point to this ramble?" Misty asked.

Gary shrugged. "Not really. More thinking out loud. I'm going to miss Delia."

Misty nodded in agreement. "Same. And Pikachu…"

"Pichu will miss him more!" Gary said with a laugh. Misty grinned, before crossing the room and hugging her boyfriend. Gary returned the gesture, before smiling down at her.

"Anyway, we should get on." Gary said. "I need to continue my work, and you should be out training."

Misty grinned at him, kissed him quickly and turned away. Gary watched her stride away before moving deeper into the lab to continue his new life as a researcher.

Ash sat meditating. Alongside him Sam and Mellanie were doing the same, all completely silent. In front of them, all their Pokémon were training. Ash let his mind wander slightly from his concentration, drifting across to the youngsters. They had both thrived in the last couple of weeks, coming on leaps and bounds in their training. After a year or so, he suspected they would probably try to leave, but they would be sufficiently good trainers by then not to embarrass him. He had enjoyed the last week immensely. It was how he had hoped his life would go after he returned. Training, alongside a few, highly talented trainers. He had been to Indigo once in the last seven days to hand Tobias over. Cynthia had everything perfectly under control and had another training camp organized for a couple of weeks' time. He had declined to help with it, saying that it wasn't appropriate. She had understood. The future looked good for him; he had everything that he had wanted when he returned home, and for once it looked like a crisis wasn't immediately jumping at him.