Cynthia stood silently. She had known that there was more to the Pokémon Master than she knew, but she hadn't realized quite what. This went some way more towards explaining it.

"His attitude afterwards was scary." Lance continued, almost not talking to Cynthia anymore. "He was so determined. Like he knew he had to respond quickly, and perfectly. And he really did."

Lance trailed off, before focusing on Cynthia again.

"Yes, I trust him. Everything he has done has been for a reason, usually a good one. I have faith in him."

Lance turned away and took his seat. Cynthia watched him walk away, until she caught the eye of Steven. The Hoenn Champion smiled at her and shrugged, before following Lance back to their seats. As she slowly walked after them Cynthia thought about what Lance had said. He had vocalized what she couldn't. But he was right. She did have faith in the Pokémon Master.

"Tobias." Ash said as he reached his opponent. "I wish you luck for this battle."

"I don't need luck." Tobias said, arrogantly. "I'll beat you without it. I've done it before, and I'll do it again."

"So he knows." Ash mused. "If he starts with his first Pokémon as I expect, I'll have to... Yes. Rotation would have been good, but the first battle needs to be brutal."

"I've gotten better since then." Ash said calmly.

"And I'm unbeatable. I've tamed legends. Pokémon that make yours look pathetic." Tobias turned on his heel, not bothering with the traditional handshake. Ash raised an eyebrow, unseen with his face in shadow, and spun before striding back to his position. As he reached it, he felt something appear in his mind, and felt a small burst of relief.

"Ash."

"Mewtwo. I was beginning to wonder where you had gone. Are you nearby?"

"Yes." Mewtwo said. "Mew and I are very close. I wish you luck in this battle. You need to come through it still strong."

"Oh don't worry, I'm aware." Ash answered. "But the sentiment is appreciated. I suspect I'll see you soon."

In the middle of the field, the referee stepped up to his mark.

"Trainers, are you both ready?" A sharp nod from Ash, and a confident call from Tobias. "Very well. Challenger, release your first Pokémon."

"There is only one I'll need." Tobias said as he selected a Pokéball. "Darkrai, I began my journey with you, and I'll finish it."

As the Pitch-Black Pokémon appeared there were murmurs of awe around the arena. As powerful as Ash's Pokémon were, there was nothing to compare to being in the presence of a legendary. Darkrai was a Pokémon that was spoken of in whispers in many places, and now he was in front of the audience. Thousands of pictures were taken, flashes raining down on the battlefield. Tobias seemed pleased with the reaction, while Ash simply ignored it.

"Very well." Ash said calmly. "I believe you will enjoy this choice Tobias. Sceptile, time to fight."

Sceptile appeared on the field, the picture of calm. A twig in his mouth, which he spat out. As he looked across the field and saw his opponent a smile spread across the Grass Types face.