Gary stared at it in shock. Almost subconsciously he reached into his pocket and pulled out a phone. He selected the top number at put the phone to his ear. Within moments Misty had picked it up.

"Hello?"

"Misty, it's me."

"Gary?" Misty's voice sounded strained.

"I've just seen the news." Gary said. "Is there anything I can do?"

"I'm not sure. We are all in shock, none of us even knew that this could happen. We don't know what we should vote."

"Want me to come over?"

Gary smiled as Misty's voice took on an edge. "I don't need you Gary." She snapped. "I'm not reliant on you."

"I'll be there this evening. See you soon Red" Gary said, and ended the call. He stepped into the shop and bought the newspaper, before turning and heading back towards Professor Oak's laboratory. As he walked, he opened the paper to read the article, but was immediately distracted by another headline.

"Legendary Pokémon law to be resurrected."

"What the?" Gary muttered to himself as he read.

"The Pokémon League has announced that there will be a new law regarding the capture of legendary Pokémon. Apparently once illegal, evidence has arisen that a law forbidding the capture of any legendary Pokémon was once in effect. There is no record of this law ever being repealed, as and a result it is to be put into action once again. Cynthia Shirona, recently reappointed as the Head of Trainer Development, confirmed that when the evidence was brought to the attention of the Pokémon League, it was made a matter of importance to reinstate the law.

"'Champion' has based his reign as Pokémon Master around returning the League to how it once was, and so the rediscovery of a law that was lost was important to him." Cynthia said.

Cynthia has also confirmed that any trainer who has captured a legendary Pokémon must release it, or face the prosecution, and a severe jail sentence. However she refused to give any information as to why the law was once required. Continued page 7.

Gary stopped reading as he reached the laboratory. He sighed to himself. He knew that he was one of the leading experts of legendary Pokémon, having worked in Sinnoh, before returning to investigate Ho-Oh, Lugia, and by extension the Legendary Beasts and Birds. He had then gone to Hoenn to continue his research. He walked into the lab, and called for his grandfather. Samuel Oak walked into the room from the Pokémon reserve outside, and saw his grandson frowning at the paper in his hands.

"What's wrong?" Samuel Oak asked. Gary said nothing, but showed him the paper and pointed to the top headline. Samuel started, before taking the paper from Gary.

"Can they do that?" Gary asked after a moment. Samuel thought for a long moment, but then slowly nodded. He handed the paper back to Gary before turning and hurrying to a computer. A few moments of frantic typing later, he turned back to Gary who had followed him.

"I thought so." Samuel Oak took a deep breath. "For a criminal to be executed, they must have committed a crime which is on a short list. Murder, treason and terrorism are all on the list. The prerogative for suggesting the death penalty goes to the Pokémon Master, and the leaders of each Elite Four. If they agree unanimously, then the option is given to the Gym Leaders. There is a requirement for thirty out of thirty-two Gyms to assent to the death penalty. Once that has been given, there is no right of appeal."