"If you're offering." Steven said, recovering first. "But why?"

Under the shadow of the hat, Steven could have sworn he saw a slight smile cross 'Champions' face. "Neither of you have ever entered the World League. I want to know how you compare to Cynthia, and the other trainers. What better way to find out?"

As he finished talking, 'Champion' took two Pokéballs from his waist and tossed them towards Lance, who caught them instinctively. He then turned away, and strode out of the room, leaving the two men staring after him lost for words.

Ash stood in front of Alakazam and the rest of the scouts. They looked totally and utterly exhausted, as well they might. They had been hunting Team Rocket for far longer than any of their other missions. It had been four days since they had returned, having found the base, but Alakazam wasn't happy with the simple location. He took the team back, with Espeon tagging along to find out more about the base and the surrounding region. As soon as they had returned, Espeon had sent a single thought to Ash, insisting that he came to see them as soon as possible. The suggestion of haste was something that was very rare in Espeon, she was usually more laid-back. So Ash had left Charizard and Sceptile with Lance and Steven and come to see them.

"Alright. Tell me." Ash said calmly, although he could sense the agitation among the four Pokémon.

"When we were there first time I sensed a very strong presence." Alakazam started. "I was surprised, but had hoped it was down to exhaustion. Espeon has confirmed what I sensed though. Mewtwo is back with Team Rocket."

Ash nodded, his calm image unbroken, although his mind had instantly started working.

"It's worse." Espeon added. "Last time he was weakened; he was controlled by the Rockets through weakening him. He seemed stronger this time. They have found an alternative way to ensure his compliance."

"How strong?" Ash asked.

"Not full strength." Espeon said. "Far from it. Yet still stronger."

Ash nodded and then turned back to the scouts. "Anything else?"

"The base itself is weak; we could break it assuming there are no traps. Yet there are other things that worried us." Alakazam continued. "We saw a man who left the base on foot, heading off into the surrounding area."

"And? I presume you followed him?"

Alakazam looked embarrassed, something that Ash didn't miss.

"Alakazam, what happened?" the Pokémon Master pressed.

"I think he knew we were there. I couldn't sense him, and when we pushed he stared at the exact spot we were hiding."

Ash stayed silent for a moment, pondering, before he swung back to Espeon. "Tell me you could sense him."

The Sun Pokémon shook her head sadly. "No. Although I did get his face."

As the image of the man entered Ash's mind, he nodded. It was a face he had last seen standing over him, grinning gloatingly. The face of the torturer of Team Rocket. Agent.

"So Agent worked out where you were." Ash said his voice level. "So you didn't follow?"

"No, we left him. We weren't sure what else he might be hiding." Alakazam said. Ash nodded, before gesturing for the Psi Pokémon to continue. "Otherwise, the base shouldn't be hard to deal with. We should be able to deal with Mewtwo, particularly if you show yourself to him. He would never attack you."