Cynthia looked sympathetic. "I do understand where you are coming from Norman, and believe me, I know that I would benefit from having him replaced. But there is just no way that we can defeat him. He is too strong a trainer. And even if there were a way, I'm not sure that I would do it. What he has done to the Pokémon League has completely revolutionized it. Any trainer can now get better by simply training at one of the gyms. It's like he has taken my vision for the Pokémon League and forced it through in a few months, when I thought it would take years to get to where we are."

"Thank you for seeing me, Cynthia." Norman said, standing up. "It's a shame that we can't find a way to agree."

Cynthia watched the former gym leader leave the room, with trepidation. There was a lot of anger there and Cynthia wasn't sure how he would deal with it. She hoped he remained rational; there was no reason 'Champion' had to be replaced. Although, as she reminded herself; there was no reason 'Champion' had to be replaced yet. So far what he had done was strengthening the league, but if that changed, Cynthia knew that she might have to initiate action.

She would be unable to challenge him herself, it wasn't against tradition for a previous Pokémon Master to attempt to take the position once again. What she had to do, was find somebody who could, if it was required. An idea crossed her mind, and she stood up, striding out of her office. She needed somewhere private for this.

The group had reached Cherrygrove City and knew May's first contest was a few days away. Since Misty wanted to move as quickly to get her badges, given that she only had a few weeks until the closing time for the Johto League, James, Gary and her were planning on heading off in the morning. They had gotten rooms in the Pokémon Center and headed out for a last night together before they split in the morning.

After having dinner, the group had wandered along the coast, chatting quietly. Eventually they settled down looking out across the sea, in silence. It wasn't an awkward silence, merely one among friends. After a while James and Meowth exchanged looks and excused themselves, saying that they were going to head off into the city by themselves. As they walked off, they were chuckling that the scene was far too romantic for the two of them. Walking back into the city, James decided to take the opportunity to spend some time with his Pokémon and so released them from their Pokéballs.

As he lay down against a tree, in his preferred comfortable way, his Pokémon played around him in the twilight. James smiled as he lay there, happy with how his life turned out in the end.

Misty and Gary wandered off shortly afterwards, leaving May and Drew together looking out over the waves. May was resting on Drew and he was absent-mindedly playing with her hair.

"Drew" May asked, continuing after she got a grunt of acknowledgement from the green-haired boy. "Thank you for letting me re-join contests. I know that you were enjoying the break, so it means a lot."

Drew just smiled. "It's fine May. I'm looking forward to watching you. And it will give us a reason to make Dawn shut up."

"But still I just want to say thank you. Are you sure you don't want to do the same?"

"I don't want to compete against you." Drew answered.

Surprised May sat up, before turning around to look at her boyfriend. "What do you mean? You used to compete against me all the time. You were really good."

Drew laughed lightly. "I only competed because I wanted an excuse to be around you. A rival is better than not knowing you at all. Now I have you, I have no reason to do so. Although, if you start doing badly…" he said as a mock threat, that drew a giggle from May.