Norman looked unhappy, as well he might. He hadn't expected much from the research, but this was disappointing, as it meant that he would have to struggle to get his job back. Caroline, expecting something like this, was resigned to the fact that with 'Champion' as Pokémon Master, Norman would not become the Petalburg Gym Leader again.

Falkner received the message in the morning. He had arrived at his gym to find it sat in his inbox. It was brief, but very clear; the way 'Champion' liked to work.

Arriving today to interview captured Rockets.
'Champion'

Falkner had sent a message to Officer Jenny to let her know, before beginning his gyms daily routine, exercising the Pokémon and observing his trainees. He kept checking for the arrival of the Pokémon Master, as so wasn't surprised when he saw the now trademark large red dragon soaring through the air towards Violet City. Falkner turned to his back-up, instructing him to carry on with the daily routine. The Flying-Type Gym Leader then hurried to the roof, and released his Pidgeot. The trainer and bird flew together to meet the Charizard, reaching the police station at the same time as 'Champion' did. He was greeted with a nod by the figure in black, who then strode into the station, with Falkner hurrying behind.

Officer Jenny looked up when she heard the door open. Thanks to Falkner's warning she knew to expect the man arriving. She hadn't met him before, so was unprepared for the aura he carried with him. Just being near him gave her a sense of his power. She stood up and came around her desk to greet her distinguished visitor.

"'Champion'. Thank you for taking your time to deal with this personally. I never expected this level of involvement."

Unseen under his customary hat, 'Champion' stared into Jenny's eyes, working out if she was being serious. He realized that she was; she genuinely was surprised that the resurgence of a major criminal organization would attract his attention. What she didn't know was the reason Team Rocket was so important to him. Unlike virtually everybody else, 'Champion' knew why they had vanished four years previously. He was responsible for it. Putting this to the back of his mind, he answered the police officer.

"Don't be. Team Rocket will be dealt with. Where are they?"
"Isolated in cells."
"And the trainers?"
"Being looked after by Nurse Joy. What will you need for the interrogations?"
"An interview room and complete privacy. I will bring question them alone"

Jenny nodded and headed deeper into the station, 'Champion' and Falkner following behind. As they walked, 'Champion' spoke to Falkner.

"Well done on this. You did well to bring them all in."
"Thank you sir. Just doing my job."
"Good. I want you to make sure that the trainers remain isolated and away from any media whilst I deal with the Rockets."
"Looking after them shouldn't be hard. The media haven't gotten hold of this yet. There weren't many people who noticed the events inside the Sprout Tower, and I have made the need for silence clear to the elders who are usually in residence. With any luck, the press will never know."
"That would be ideal. Thank you Falkner."

The Gym Leader knew he had been dismissed, so he departed the police station and headed across the city towards the Pokémon Centre.

The first Team Rocket grunt to be questioned was the one who had spoken to Falkner the previous evening. He was led into the interview room by Officer Jenny, who left him there. As the Rocket sat down he found himself facing Ash across a table. Refusing to be the first to say anything, he sat in silence whilst Ash studied him. After nearly a full minute, Ash started to speak.