5. Adler & The Gentle Wolf

"There are freshmen behind this curtain, excited to watch our show for the first time.
Do not worry. Do as rehearsed. The rehearsal was good--

Our bond stayed firm even after that incident--

We are a special club. What we show on stage is how both carnivores and herbivores live to the full extent. Understood?"

"Yes!"

Untruthful and inconsiderate yet so inspiring. The past rehearsals were atrocious - 'a disaster waiting to happen' in Louis' opinion but there they were, standing in the backstage of the auditorium as Louis made his speech. Eyes pierced through his skin as per usual. Those dark ebony like orbs peered at Louis unbrokenly like any other day although it just felt despicable. He was lost and disconcerted. His outrageous secret wrongdoings were embedded into his soul - leaving a hefty scar in his memories.

The wolf seemed lost in his own melancholy, engulfed by his sorrows and crimes. His state wasn't any better than the night before - he still felt as disappointed and drained from all the thoughts that ran through his head. He couldn't pull his eyes away from Louis - not like it was unusual, but after all he's done, it just felt inapt.

Even from afar, Louis could sense it - Legoshi's gaze was tirelessly on him despite it giving off an altered aspect of what he was used to. After what had happened the day before, Louis still felt uneasy - the thought of wanting to be intimately closer to such a threatening individual just appeared to be surreal - 'utterly preposterous even!' but despite that - despite Louis' form of resentment and fear of carnivores, he was still drawn to them in a way. Of course he would never admit it but he was quite smitten for Legoshi, didn't know why but he was. Practically a deer in headlights.

With the beast's eyes on him, it was quite challenging to concentrate on the upcoming performance. His eyes turned to where Legoshi was situated but when he looked at him, the beast was preoccupied. It looked bushed and somewhat unhappy. Somehow, Legoshi staring at anything but him hurt. Louis could've sworn that his eyes were on him earlier but now that he'd seen him, it felt as if the wolf was ignoring him.

That insignificant gesture - that would usually mean nothing to him, upset him. He didn't even know what was happening in his mind. Why did he feel that way - he wasn't even sure of what he was feeling to begin with. He had other things to worry about and yet he was getting worked up over a fool not looking at him anymore.

Idiot. He thought to himself as he swiftly looked away - frustrated.

。o°✥✤✣  1.4  ✣✤✥°o。

Finally, the curtains opened as he took one last deep breath. He could sense the overwhelming stress of being on stage rise as he stepped closer to the edge of the podium, but even with his accelerating pulse, his confidence was displayed unfailingly.

The red deer's ego grew more and more the longer he stood in the spotlight - there was no one else to worry about at that moment, no incompetent co-actors, no pathetically foolish wolf or not even a sizeable wound could take down his pride. The spotlight was on him and only him, no one could do as well as him. None of those morons were talented enough to reach his level.

They had to count on him or else who would they count on? No one has worked as much as Louis. No one's as strong as Louis. No one can bring him back down once he's deep in his head - once he's submerged in his ego, he won't come back anytime soon.

All eyes are on me!