Chapter 59

Although the event being held today was not grand, it's importance was great. There were only a select few in attendance and they were the other Clan Leaders, Ru Mingyu, Yuan Shan, King Xin Chao, Crown Prince Xin Hua, and Crown Princess Lian Yu. Lady Yuan Li was not present, due to the belief that ceremonies such as this would attract spirits to follow her home whether good or bad. Walking, Lian Zhong wore a green attire that had a short, detached train of gold cloth that followed behind as the drums sounded. Being of the Three Great Noble Clans, the ceremony to officially welcome the new Clan Leaders were held in the palace and has been that way since the beginning.

Walking up the short flight of stairs, Lian Zhong soon reached the table that held a dagger and a chalice filled halfway with water. It was also with his arrival that the beating of the drums came to a halt.

The Minister of Rites spoke, "To show present yourself as the new Clan Leader of the Lian Clan, you shall first bow thrice to the Earth, thrice to the heavens and then rise."

Doing as told, he made sure his robes were not in his way as he did so. Three times, he bowed to Earth and after he did the same to heavens. Standing, the minister continued. "On the table shall you see the dagger holding the engravings of the vermillion bird. Take hold of it and spill blood into the chalice. Doing so, we shall shower it upon the divine being, marking your existence as the Clan Leader of the Lian Clan."

As he pressed the blade against the palm of his hand, the pain wasn't so much that you'd cry but it was indeed an unpleasant feeling. After all, no one is resistant to pain. Bringing his bleeding hand over the chalice, he allowed it to bleed until the water turned a light red.

The drums began to sound again and putting his hands together, they were now both painted the same color. Separating them, he came to his knees presenting his utmost respect, and there the drums silenced. Only he, was to remain in that position for five minutes under the heat of the sun.

And if Lian Zhong was being honest, it felt like a millennium. It were as though he were being put under judgement and experiencing a different time and space unlike the others present with him.

Finally, the beat of the drums entered his ears signaling him to rise. Coming to the young man, King Xin Chao took the bit of wet blood that was left on his hand and onto his finger. Doing so, he smeared it down Lian Zhong's nose. Turning to the people present, the king spoke. "Pay your respects to the Clan Leader of the Lian Clan."

The royal pair paid their respects first, congratulating his new title. Then, came the other two successors of the Three Great Noble Clans. The conversation they had was filled with smiles as it was now Ru Mingyu and Yuan Shan who had to catch up to their friend. And lastly, came Clan Leader Yuan Qi and Clan Leader Ru Yan.

As they talked, it felt bittersweet in a way to the two older Clan Leaders. Just over 20 years ago, were they also at his father's ceremony. Now, they were there for his son, but he was no longer around.

A new title, Clan Leader Lian Zhong now held the responsibility to overlook the Xie Kingdom and the rest of the Four Kingdoms.

A full recovery, Prince Ren Huiliang of the Ra Nation now had to return home. At the gates of the palace, King Xin Chao and Crown Prince Xin Hua saw him off as the servants got his belongings together. From the moment the foreign prince stepped onto the soil of the Xie Kingdom, treachery reached his ears and then the betrayal of the Sui Kingdom by their supposed Crown Prince Han Yinjie. However, all was well when the cursed blade was no longer able to touch Crown Princess Lian Yu.

"I wish you a safe journey, Prince Ren Huiliang." King Xin Chao bid.

Ren Huiliang bowed, "Thank you, Your Majesty. And I do hope to return in the future to visit once again."

The king chuckled, "You are always welcome to visit."

Coming forward, Crown Prince Xin Hua now had to say his own goodbyes. But before any words could be said, Xin Hua took his friend in for a hug. "I'm glad you were here." referring to when they found out about everything and now.

The Ra prince smiled, "And I'm glad I was able to help."

The two looked at one another before bursting out into laughter. "But other than that, I'm happy that I was able to in a way, change your fate." Ren Huiliang spoke. To have someone to talk to, other than Ru Mingyu, truly helped him in sorting his emotions. Not only that, if it weren't for him and Lian Zhong finding the two men behind Yuan Li's kidnapping, who knows if they would've ever gotten the information they needed.

"Goodbye," Xin Hua said as his friend left.

At the Office of Rites, Yuan Shan read the One Rise book, and this was of course with the permission of the king and his father. Every page he came upon, only made his eyes fill more and more with wonder. It held more in-depth details about each of the Four Kingdoms' customs along with how the four deities determined the insignia of the royal families, which would also be their tattoos.

Then, came the pages of Crimson Mountain. Every individual of the Four Kingdoms knew that this place was to never be stepped foot upon as it is the absolute law of the land. This made no one ever truly know what lied on those sacred grounds where His Divine God Bai rests.

Within these pages, told of how there is a protector of the mountain and was the one who helped His Divine God Bai cultivate his abilities as an immortal. As Yuan Shan ventured further, it then gave background of who the protector may be. The protector certainly was not a dragon but a creature who once possessed human form.

This mountain has also been around since before the formation of the Four Kingdoms.

"'There once a time, a few hundred years after the formation of the Four Kingdoms that devastation was upon them as the order was disturbed. However, Crown Prince Fei Li Yang of the Jin Kingdom made a pact with his Divine God Bai of the Wei Kingdom to give him the power to save the Four Kingdoms from his older brother's greed but in turn would take something of the Crown Prince.'" He read.

"'After the pact was made his hair turned white and eyes blue. Eventually, he was able to save the Four Kingdoms but died shortly afterwards. It is believed that His Divine God Bai took the soul of the woman he loved in exchange for giving him this power.'....."

Reaching the end of this section, Yuan Shan shut the book. The look he held was astonished by what he had just read.

Quietly, he muttered to himself. "Crimson Mountain......"
.
.
.