Chapter 21

Knowing of the men that stalk the clinic, Lian Zhong stood by in silence awaiting their appearance. He's been doing this for days, hoping that maybe he could find an answer here.

With sunset upon him, the clinic was going to soon close for the night. About to leave the outside patio and go inside to finish sorting out the new medical books, it was then he saw something from the corner of his eye. Just beyond the borders of the Lian Clinic, was there a man hiding behind a building. The man didn't seem to mind the Commander's presence as it seemed he were tasked to watching him and was not noticed.

Paying no mind to it, Lian Zhong continued what he was doing.

Later that night as the clinic closed and everyone left, the Young Master stayed behind locking up everything as his parents went ahead of him. Closing the entrance gates, he began his lonely walk back to the Lian Manor.

As he walked, he could hear how the steps that followed matched his. However, he also paid it no mind and went home the way he usually did, through a personal shortcut of his. This shortcut was a path that not many people took. He's been taking this route ever since he decided on a stakeout at his family's clinic.

There were a long series of turns, and times where just a straight path was beyond them.

One last turn before he was to reach the Lian Manor, Lian Zhong did so in a quick manner that didn't seem forced or give signs that he was aware of the man on his tail. The man following had been doing so with patience and suddenly seeing him vanish from his sight, he quickly went after him believing he fell behind. However, the moment he went in that direction he was met with a punch to the face, breaking his nose in the process.

The unknown man fell to the ground as dirt flew into the air. Backing away, Lian Zhong looked to be stalking him like a tiger with its prey. The look in his eyes were frightening, as though something had taken over him.

"Where is my wife?!" he growled.

Blood dripped down his face as he laughed and pulled a blade to his own neck. "Our master will set her free from this damned nation." His neck began to bleed.

Just before the man could go through with his suicide, the Commander managed to wrestle him down with hands behind his back. He was furious.

"WHO IS THE MASTER YOU SERVE?!"

Having received a letter from the Crown Prince, Madame Min Jie entered the palace and to the Chinesis Garden as told. As she walked along the garden's path, around were butterflies and hummingbirds that flew, collecting nectar, and the sway of nature's beauty along the wind.

Reaching her destination, waiting there was the Crown Prince, alone. Madame Min Jie bowed in respect, "Greetings, Your Highness," she spoke as the young man gestured for her sit.

"Please help yourself to some snacks." he offered.

The woman seemed to laugh with that fabricated smile, "No thank you, Your Highness. I've had plenty before I came." she declined. "But other than that, what is the reason for you to summon me before your presence?" she questioned.

It was simple.

"Why do you treat her such a way?"

That look of joy expressed on her face faded by a fraction. "Who?" a short smile remained.

"Lian Yu"

Madame Min Jie chuckled, "Yu? Why do you ask?"

Xin Hua's brows pressed together, "Don't you love your child?"

Her laughter prolonged as though trying to avoid it. "That's absurd. Of course, I love her." she proclaimed.

"Then why did you torment her so much that even to this day, she is still haunted by the memories? Actually, no.....even now you still do the same to her."

That smile, was now gone. "Ever since that child was born, she has been nothing but trouble!" she shouted.

His hands formed into fists, "How?"

A scowl became present on her face, "There is no 'how,' but rather that I only wanted Song. I never wanted a second daughter but a second son. She was a mistake and that's all she'll ever be." the truth.

Xin Hua couldn't believe it. He thought that maybe it was something else, like how Lian Yu wasn't her real daughter but no. She simply didn't care for her all because she was the second daughter and not the second son.

How could she live tormenting her own child?

"A MOTHER SHOULD NEVER MAKE THEIR CHILD FEEL LESS THAN ANOTHER!" he shouted, overcome by his emotions. "Your children should feel equal and if you never wanted her, you should've never tried again." the outcome of her third child was nothing but neglect.

"You dare to question me, a wife of one of the Three Great Noble Clans?!" hands slamming the table.

"No, you dare to question me, the Crown Prince?!" he retorted.

Madame Min Jie's lips shut upon his response. Who was she, to question royalty when she was nothing compared?

The look he held was like an angered mate. "I may not know Lian Yu but I do know one thing, and that is I'll share the burden and dread she carries. I will be there as her companion even when all is lost and everyone turns their back on her. I will hold the hand you never held."

Without any other words, Madame Min Jie left. To stay, was to fight a war she could never win.

At her departure, the Crown Prince exhaled heavily. He was glad he was able to tell her off face to face. Someone like her, is a menace to the world. A person who should never be a mother.
.
.
.