Chapter 6

"Mother, what brings you to call us before you?" Lian Zhong asked his mother as his wife, Lady Yuan Li sat by his side.

Madame Min Jie's expression was stern as always. "It's about time the two of you conceive a child. The Lian blood mustn't fade into nothingness." she told the pair.

Hearing so, Yuan Li became hesitant and unsure of what to say or how to respond. She wasn't ready to have a child yet. Sure, she is at the ripe age to bear a child and have a family, however, not everyone was the same. She needed time and her mother-in-law didn't seem to understand.

"I'm waiting until Li is ready, so until then don't expect anything." it were almost as though the Commander read her mind.

The mid-aged woman became enraged at her son's answer. They weren't listening to her and she did not like it. Furious, she turned to the young woman, "Yuan Li, you will listen to what I say! Bear a child." she shouted.

Immediately, did Lian Zhong come to his wife's defense. "Mother, enough!" yelling as he stood. The look on his face was not friendly, and to raise her voice at his wife also angered him.

For him to go against her, was also another thing that did not sit well with Madame Min Jie. She is the Madame of the house not Yuan Li.

Raising her hand, Madame Min Jie rushed forward to hit her son. However, the person she struck was not Lian Zhong but Yuan Li. She was quick to shield her husband just before her mother-in-law could touch him.

Yuan Li kept quiet upon contact as eyes looked away and to the side.

His other half hurt, Lian Zhong looked at his mother in rage despite trying to keep reserved. It pained him how she took the hit in place of him when he believed she didn't deserve it. Yuan Li on the other hand, thought it was indeed deserved of her. It was her duty to carry on the Lian blood and yet she hesitated to do so just because she wasn't ready.

Coming before his wife, Lian Zhong held her with his back facing his tormenting mother as to hide her. His eyes looked down to his partner seeing if she was alright but still she kept quiet. Her cheek was already beginning to bruise as Madame Min Jie did not hold back on her assault.

His hold on her became tighter, "Leave," voice cold.

With no other words and a still enraged mindset, the mid-aged woman left. Once she was gone, the Commander's expression fell into sorrow. "Li, I apologize for mother's actions. I should've stopped her, yet I couldn't." he hated how she was struck instead.

Eyes lowering, she leaned closer to him. "It's not your fault."

And it never will be.

Later that day, visiting the Lian residence is Young Master Yuan Shan of the Yuan Clan. He is once again dropping off herbs from the palace given by Royal Physician Ping. That old man always sent these medicinal herbs as a sort of gift for the Lian Clan Leader, Lian Gen.

Placing the last pack of herbs on the self in the storage room, the servants closed the door shut before going along their way and leaving the two Yuan siblings.

"That was quite a lot." Yuan Li chuckled.

Yuan Shan also did the same, but with awkwardness. "Sometimes I regret offering my hand to help at the clinic." but nevertheless he was always there to help.

The Lady couldn't contain her laughter, "Well, you don't know how to say no so I guess it's your problem." simply speaking the truth.

The Young Master huffed, "Other than that, have you been doing alright?" the most important question.

"Umm," she remembered that event earlier that day as she then lightly sighed. "Well, she is the same as always.....If you know what I mean." her expression of joy seemed forced at the mention of it.

Her brother's eyes narrowed, "That's expected if I'm being honest. She has always hit her own children before for the littlest things." a brief touch on the Lian children's childhood.

Sadly, Yuan Li agreed to this horrible truth. "Yes.....I know." The demon that unraveled itself the moment she was born into this world. The world that held wonders, dreams, and monsters.

Briefly, her lips parted as though hesitant on her next words but in the end, voiced them with those solemn eyes. "I just hope that Yu has gotten over her trauma of seeing a person overridden with anger towards her." this was something the Lady had been praying for.

Lian Yu would always tense up or freeze whenever such a thing happened. Stricken with fear was what she was.

"Shh!" Yuan Shan immediately said with a finger over his lips as he looked around. "We shouldn't mention that around here or else Madame Min Jie may hear." a whisper.

At this, Lady Yuan Li sealed her lips not uttering another word of that topic. To speak of this could cause that woman to fall into anger, and no one wanted that to happen.

Then, the Young Master looked behind his sister to see the candle clock. Seeing the time, it was already the nineteenth hour and so he quickly turned, "Sorry Li. I'll see you another day. It's about time I head on back home to father." bidding goodbye to his sister.

"Goodbye." Yuan Li waved.

Upon stepping out the entrance doors of the Lian residence, an all too familiar voice entered his ears.

"Shan?" it was Young Master Ru Mingyu, on his way home from the palace.

Looking to his longtime friend, Yuan Shan gave a short smile. "Nice to see you too."

Deciding to walk back to their respective homes until they reach the path that parts them, the two simply spoke. They chatted about the littlest things like the birds that flew over their heads or how a new snack they tasted was delicious.

"I also saw this rather lovely woman," spoke Yuan Shan as Ru Mingyu listened. "I could only think to myself 'How could someone be so lovely, so delicate.'" it sounded like love at first sight.

Ru Mingyu chuckled causing his friend to turn his head as a brow raised. "I am just letting you know, I have no desire to marry until I am fitted for an arrangement. It'll be easier that way." speaking of his beliefs.

"You say such a thing, yet this maiden caught your eye." the General's son spoke.

Yuan Shan's look became sour, "Please do not go on any further with this." he seemed to beg.

Ru Mingyu gave a nod without any words. He, for certain always knew when to stop, but sometimes he didn't just for the heck of it.

It then fell silent for a moment not too long after as their steps continued. That is until one did, bringing up something that's been on his mind.

"Don't you think that something seems wrong. As though the air has changed." this had been lingering at the back of Ru Mingyu's mind for a while.

Yuan Shan questioned him despite the fact that he too has been feeling the same, "Why do you feel that way?" he wanted to know his answer.

Ru Mingyu's brows pressed together, "I'm not sure.....however my blood seems to be in a rush like adrenaline. It's almost as if something that we cannot see is coming except our blood, our bodies. They are the only things that can sense it."

Eyes lowering, Yuan Shan's breaths turned heavy as he then looked away and to the side. "That's the exact reason I don't particularly enter the palace so much these past weeks." bringing upon a certain detail. "The moment I step foot there, I can feel fear creeping up behind me."

His friend nodded, agreeing.

Walking on, the two's conversation shifted deciding to talk about something else. It was also as they walked that a silhouette followed not too far behind.
.
.
.