Chapter 26

Looking out the opening of the wagon, Lady Yuan Li saw that they were now entering the Wei Kingdom. She could tell by the uniforms the soldiers wore. Their armors were plated with brass; the same material that is also used for horses of war. In the Jin Kingdom, their armor were of iron, Sui of steel, and Xie of bronze. It was not only the metals that differentiated the soldiers but also the way they were designed.

"What are we doing here in the Wei Kingdom?" the woman asked.

Wiping his sword, Kang eyed her but just before he could speak, his partner who sat outside guiding the horses interrupted him. "We mustn't tell her of our affairs, Kang" his name was Ye.

Shrugging at this words, his attention came back to the woman who he perceived as no threat. Facing the floorboard of the wagon, that expression Yuan Li held was not a pleasant one. "They will find me and once they do, doom shall fall upon you."

A bitter smile filled Kang. "I know they will, but will you be alive when they do?"

Brows pressed, she yelled. "Her Divine Goddess Xifeng will punish you!"

"Will she?" he laughed. "The tree is poisoned, and aren't her powers weakening as well? As for the Crown Princess, your friend or so I've heard, we've got plans for her as well."

The look in her eyes, darkened.

Running through the palace grounds this early evening, Crown Princess Lian Yu slammed the doors open to Princess Xin Lan's chambers of the Tranquil Palace. In her hand, she held Lian Song's journal she had just finished reading.

The princess who was just piecing together an embroidered folding fan, was surprised by her sudden entrance. Setting down her things, she stood from where she sat and came towards her with a limp. The arrow injury on her leg was progressively getting better.

"What's wrong?" she signed.

Heavy breaths, she believed it was now time to hear the truth. "Please, tell me about Song." she sounded as though she were begging. "I need to know." 

Brows pressed, Xin Lan looked around making sure no one else was present besides the two in this space. Urging her to sit at the couch, the truth soon came to light.

".......During the time Lian Song was here, there were a lot of footsteps; more than usual and even in the dead of night."

Eyes narrowing, Lian Yu questioned her. "What do you mean by that?"

"I also do not know but every time I came by to visit I heard footsteps quickly leaving. And...." the princess sighed. "There was an incident that also occurred when I visited her once to deliver something because my brother couldn't bring himself to." She seemed to become more silent at the end.

Lian Yu's eyes began to shake and water, "What was that incident?" It was like she knew the answer but wanted confirmation.

"When I arrived to her chambers, I heard a muffled sound and curious of what it could be I followed it. Once I found the source, I saw her, your sister killing a man she had restrained herself........ Before she could truly end his life, she cut off his tongue saying 'with this, you shall never speak again.'"

It was ever since that moment that Princess Xin Lan lost her voice. Although those words were not directed towards her, it were as though it also silenced her to never mention it to anyone or else.

Hand covering her mouth, Lian Yu couldn't believe what she was hearing. "Was it truly my sister?!" she exclaimed.

Slowly, Xin Lan nodded her head. There's no mistaking that it was Lian Song as she was the only other woman to reside within one of the many chambers of the Vermillion Palace besides her younger sister.

Coming to the Crown Princess's side, her hand rubbed her back in an up and down manner as to comfort her from the dreadful truth. The truth she couldn't believe at first when she finished reading the journal.

"Where is he, His Highness?" Crown Princess Lian Yu asked of the Crown Prince.

A short frown came about, "I'm sorry, I do not know." unable to give her the answer she desired.

Casting aside all emotions of dread, she stood from where she sat. "Tighten security around your palace, I must find him."

Nodding her head in response, Lian Yu soon left. She had to give him the journal.

Slamming the table, King Xin Chao couldn't believe the words coming out of Clan Leader Yuan Qi's mouth. "What is it?!"

Expression stern, he repeated his answer. "It is the tattoo of the blue dragon, and I'd say this individual must've passed not too long ago." a guess.

Confusion filled the king, "But there is no way! No blood royal has passed in over 20 years. Not only that, the Sui royal family only consists of the Crown Prince, the 2nd prince, and the king who carry the tattoo."

Brows scrunched, Clan Leader Yuan Qi was unsure of what to say. It was strange because the last Sui blood royal to pass, was the Imperial Princess Han Mei Li, the current Sui king's sister. However, it couldn't be her as the skin looked quite young.

"Continue the interrogation on that man! Do not let anything slip." the man Lian Zhong had apprehended.

A short bow, the Clan Leader heeded his words before leaving. The sudden introduction of this tattoo, has shaken them more than ever.

On her way to the Vermillion Palace, Lian Yu could only hold that journal tighter. Once she read everything and thought it over and over, she realized she had to give the journal to the Crown Prince so he could explore its contents and alert the others of the oncoming danger they oppose.

Turning the corner, the Crown Princess suddenly bumped into someone. Stumbling a few steps back, her eyes looked up to the individual, but did not exactly recognize him. Upon her eyes meeting his, the man smiled.

"Greetings, Your Highness."

It was Prince Ren Huiliang.
.
.
.