Chapter 46

Surrounded, the group fought back cutting down their foes, but they were greatly outnumbered. Just watching, was Xue yet again as he stood. It was a great sight to see as he bore witness to a few of the Xie Kingdom's greatest warriors on the defense.

Drawing his own sword, Xue stepped in.

His horse down, Crown Prince Xin Hua was now on the ground along with Lian Zhong trying to clear a path for Ru Mingyu and Crown Princess Lian Yu, whose horse still stood. And quickly approaching, Xue targeted the beast since it was the only thing that could could outrun the footmen.

But before he could kill it, Xin Hua clashed blades with him as the path was now clear. Struggling, the royal knew Xue's strength was not something to laugh about. If he was being honest, Xue was amongst one of the few swordsman he respected due to his agility and power. He was one that many feared and hoped to never cross swords with in the entirety of the Four Kingdoms.

Metal screeching, the Crown Prince managed to push him away. "Get out of here!" he yelled.

There was hesitation in Ru Mingyu as he was meant to protect the Crown Prince by the order of the royal court. Lian Yu also felt the same.

Swords meeting again, Xin Hua grunted. "Lian Zhong and I will hold them off so please, get to safety!"

Although silent, there was guilt as Ru Mingyu flicked his reins for his horse to run. As they got further and further away, Lian Yu looked back with a painful expression.

Seeing an opening, Xue kicked the Xie Crown Prince in the abdomen causing him to stumble backwards. A quick glance at the Commander, Xin Hua could tell that he had no problem handling Xue's men due to the fact that they were not very experienced in combat.

A deep breath, Xin Hua's grip on his sword tightened. "You will die by my hand."

A laugh that quickly faded, the look in his eyes changed. "I know."

Getting away, there were already a few individuals on their tail. They were most likely reinforcements that arrived later. Noticing them, Ru Mingyu urged his horse to go faster; however, it already was and having two people on one horse was weighing it down as compared to those behind them.

Although he didn't want to, he passed the reins to Lian Yu and here, her face slowly began to express confusion. "No, no....what are you doing?" Her voice was filled with hurt as he made her hold the reins.

"I'm protecting you." Once those words left his mouth, he threw himself off, hitting the snow covered ground.

"Mingyu!" she screamed.

Looking at his figure that got smaller and smaller, horror filled her. With everyone staying behind, she was now alone once more. "You better survive," voice going quiet.

A deep breath as he looked at her one last time, Ru Mingyu readied his bow. His target getting closer, he released his hold on the arrow.

They thought it would never end and when it did, surrounding them were the lifeless bodies of men as the snow turned a deeper shade of red. On his knees, Commander Lian Zhong was exhausted and the only thing keeping him from falling was his sword that he used as support. His face held specs of blood and so did his clothes.

Still on his feet, Crown Prince Xin Hua's sword was pointed at Xue, who laid on the ground. It was a tough battle but he managed to take him down with the help of Lian Zhong.

"Where is it that he plans to take her?" he asked again.

Xue coughed as he laughed and this only made Xin Hua press his blade into his neck. Crown Prince Han Yinjie's right-hand groaned. ".....I knew I was destined to die the moment I pointed my sword at you, Your Highness." He was well aware of how the Crown Prince of the Xie Kingdom was protected even without soldiers or guards.

"Then you will help me."

Hearing such a thing was absurd to Xue who only prolonged his laughter. "They've got her, I know it."

"I will save your family." This certainly changed his expression as his laughter came to an end. "I know that Crown Prince Han Yinjie has been holding your family hostage ever since he learned the truth." He knew everything as during their breaks before the ambush, Lian Yu told them after mustering up the will to do so. Putting one and one together, led him to this assumption of Xue and he was right. All along, Xue has only been going through with the orders and to hide his guilt, he would smile and laugh at the lives he took as a way to try and forget the unforgivable acts he had done. Doing so, was enough for the Crown Prince he served to believe him but Xue no longer did. The moment he first took the life of an innocent person, was when his trust came to an end. That life, was the abandoned princess.

Silent, Xue's eyes shook with ponder.

Crown Princess Lian Yu now wandered the forest of barren trees alone as she walked with her hand still holding onto the horse's reins. She wasn't sure how much time had passed since she parted ways with Ru Mingyu but she was certain that it was probably hours. Those eyes of hers were dreadful as well.

Then, the sound of water entered her ears and looking to her left she could see a river. Shifting towards that direction, she tied the reins onto a tree and left to the water's edge. On her knees, she took a handful of the cold water and drank it before washing her face. Lian Yu remained still for a moment as she suddenly covered her mouth and crouched over. It was hard trying to suppress her tears and screams she wanted to let out. Quickly she splashed more water onto her face and it didn't bother her that it was so cold. Just when she had thought they were going to get away and return home, the attack happened.

A sniffle, the Xie Crown Princess reached for more water but she stopped. As the water relaxed, she was able to see the blurred outline of a figure standing behind her. Realizing who they were, she quickly reached for her short sword but was already falling to the ground. Slowly, her hand reached for her neck and feeling a needle she looked at the individual before her.

The sleep inducing drug taking effect immediately, her eyes shut.
.
.
.