Chapter 34

The days of coldness were approaching as this quiet night went on. Along the pavement outside the servants' quarters, a loud crowd of footsteps could be heard. This awakened a few of the servants while the others tried to shut out the sounds.

Steps reaching the entrance of the women's quarters, the doors slammed open. Rushing in, the guards surrounded the servants with their blades drawn at them as they awakened with confusion. The person who led them, was Commander Lian Zhong.

One of the women spoke, "What's going on?" her voice held yawns.

Attention shifting to her, Lian Zhong gave a distasteful look. "Why don't you tell me what is going on?"

In the underground prison, suppressed screams of pain could be heard from two particular men. Bound to the wooden chairs they sat in, Ye endured yet another lash against his bloody chest. He wasn't going to give in to their torture and kept his lips sealed. In another room, Kang on the other hand, didn't bother to keep silent and instead kept taunting them.

Another mark from the whip on his body, Kang breathed heavily. His head down, he tried to catch his breath with clenched fists.

"Are you done with this slander?" spoke General Ru Yan who oversaw this action.

Shaking, Kang laughed in a low tone as he slowly peered to look at him. "It doesn't matter what you get out of me," trying his best to speak. "That woman is bound to die."

Eyes shut as they then opened with a low gaze, the Clan Leader walked over to the fire pit. "I see," his expression was solemn. Grabbing the iron brand that had been soaking in the heat of flames, he came towards the man tightening his hold on it. "Then I hope the pain of this heated iron does not hurt you."

Pressing the iron against his already bruised and bleeding skin on his chest, the screams he suppressed could no longer be contained. Steam flowed from his wound as sizzling could be heard.

Ye could hear the cries of his partner but his expression remained calm. He was never one to show emotions even in the most painful moments. And in this room with him, was Commander Lian Zhong.

Wiping the blood stained pliers, Lian Zhong set down the cloth and walked back to him with the tool still in hand. "So, do you still dare to be silent?" he questioned.

Ye did not answer, not even with a few nails missing from his fingers and toes that bleed. However, even the most quiet person spoke. "......To....to betray His Highness, is to betray the heavens." his voice was shaking.

The Commander clicked his tongue, "How can one be the heavens, when they've already betrayed them?"

Stacking the papers that were covered in tactics of where these unknown individuals were lurking within the palace and the many words they shared during their questioning, Crown Prince Xin Hua lightly yawned as he finished yet another pile. Ever since Lian Yu's taking, the desk he always kept clean and well organized was now a mess. He wasn't sure how to order everything except the piling to keep it all in one place.

Suddenly, the doors swung open revealing Prince Ren Huiliang. This startled the Crown Prince as he was unaware of his approach, causing him to drop the small stack of papers he held. Seeing what he had done, the foreign prince awkwardly laughed. "Sorry,"

Xin Hua didn't say anything except the displeased expression on his face. That was enough to show the Ra prince exactly what he was thinking.

"I can't believe you made me drop these papers you idiot."

A frowned smile, Ren Huiliang rolled his wheel chair to the Crown Prince's desk and picked up one of the many papers to look at. "It's unlike you to be in such a state of disarray." he told his friend.

"Oh shut it." Xin Hua spoke in haste.

A short frown, the foreign prince helped him gather his materials and came before the Crown Prince as he placed the papers on the desk. "You know her don't you?"

That question made Xin Hua raise a brow, "What are you talking about?"

Ren Huiliang laughed, "You know Crown Princess Lian Yu, but Lian Song you did not."

"I don't know......" the royal's eyes lowered. "I feel that if I can save her then maybe I can stop this misfortune that follows me. Everyone leaves and I'm scared that she will become one of them."

"But why exactly is it that you are afraid she will leave?" he wanted the truth.

"I'm not too sure but something inside tells me that losing her will make me devastated. To become my past, would make me doubt the future."

Prince Ren Huiliang frowned, "I've heard many and seen many thing in short time you know. About her."

The Crown Prince's lowered gaze turned to him. "She is not someone that others give to, but rather someone who gives to others. She is the rain, always giving until the skies are void of clouds and unable to spill water."

"What are you trying to achieve by talking to me about such, Huiliang?" he wasn't sure of his motives behind those words.

A short smile, Ren Huiliang chuckled. "Isn't it obvious? A flower cannot flourish without rain."
.
.
.