〘14〙

P A R T - 1

┍━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┑
ɴᴇɢᴏᴛɪᴀᴛɪᴏɴ ᴏʀ ᴡᴀʀ

┍━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┑• ɴᴇɢᴏᴛɪᴀᴛɪᴏɴ ᴏʀ ᴡᴀʀ •

┕━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┙

Ten minutes into the journey and Jungkook's already started thinking of Yureum, especially about the fright that was dancing on her face before he departed.

Yureum's fear is reasonable though. For more than a year now, border disputes have been tormenting Busan. God knows how many soldiers have come back martyred because of the atrocities being thrown by Changwon.

Jungkook remembers that time when a newly wed, soon-to-be-father soldier came back dead from the borders. His pregnant wife fell on her knees, weeping for the loss of her husband and the father of her future child. Jungheen ensured that the loss didn't cause much of a setback on the wife. He sent the wife a monthly compensation for the family. The compensation was sometimes in the form of money, sometimes as food, sometimes as clothes and sometimes as gifts they could sell and earn money from.

Jungkook's given Yureum his word of coming back alive and if he doesn't adhere to it, he knows he's going to hate himself even in afterlife. Like Yureum rightly said, their relationship has come to good terms after almost a year of marriage; losing that already will be a huge downfall for both. He does not want Yureum to become a widow just yet. She deserves to experience the bliss of being a wife, the goodness of being loved and the delight of being a princess.

At this point, Jungkook would choose a million injuries if that kept him alive. As long as he could heal and live his life with Yureum, he would give anything and everything he had to offer. Except his wife; if anybody even thought of objectifying Yureum or consider her as a piece of good that could be traded, he would behead them right away.

He stares at his wedding ring, his observation keen and deep. He gazes at the diamond placed in the center of the ring, the carving of the ring precise and the tinier jewels at the border of the ring embedded in a tender way. The ring as a whole, could be worth giving one's life for.

Jungkook smiles to himself when he recalls the day of his wedding.

"With the power vested in me, I now announce you man and wife," the priest declares, "You may now kiss the bride."

With an obvious reluctance and hesitance, Jungkook and Yureum step closer both their insides burning in the flames of a discomfort. Their lips join themselves, their kiss of the marital binding devoid of the emotion of love and affection.