Chapter 24: Grayson

"What do you wear to a pack barbeque?" Deja asks, looking through the suitcase on the floor.

I'm standing in the doorway, leaning against the door frame watching her pull out clothes from the stuffed suitcase on the floor. She's already taken a bath and braided her hair in two braids, now she's digging through a mountain of unfolded clothes.

Living with Deja I have learned so many things about her; one is she's very unorganized. She never can find anything, especially when it comes to her clothes. Now for some reason, she keeps Zay's clothes and things a little more organized than one would think.

"You know you should really go with me. I don't know any of these people and it would make me feel better," She says looking up at me and batting her eyelashes as if that would make me change my mind.

Today is not the day to reintroduce myself to the pack that has shunned me all my life. The pack that feels I should have been sent away because I'm different. No, I will keep an eye on things from a distance. Plus the hairs on the back of my neck have been standing at attention all day. I can't sense anything or anyone near, but I need to keep my focus on my surroundings, not on a bunch of judgemental wolves.

"You will be fine. I will be near."

"I don't understand if you are supposed to be the great one that can walk as three, then why does everyone here treat you differently. Who cares if you're not a full wolf?" She bites her lips, and I know she's remembering what I said about the pack not accepting me because I was different.

"Because people don't like different; especially if you don't look like what they think is acceptable or the norm. Wolves and Sanguivore are no different than humans. They have the same prejudices and judgemental ways."

"Well, I'm just saying if you are supposed to be the great one. Who the hell do they think they are? They can't even do what you can do on their best day." She bursts out laughing at the same time she pulls a pair of light color holey jeans out of the suitcase. She then grabs a light pink t-shirt that reads Cute Psycho on the front.

"Promise me you won't come for me."

"What?" She's still going through that mess of a suitcase.

"Promise me if anything ever happens you will get away and not try to help."

"I can't promise that. Why wouldn't I try to help?" She pauses and frowns. Her head slowly turns in my direction. "What is going to happen?"

"Nothing but if we ever get in a situation that you have to run. You run. I can heal myself from most things...you can't. So promise me you will run."

She stares at me for a moment. I watch every emotion play across her beautiful face. I need her to be safe. If not for herself, then for Zay. "Ummm...yeah. I guess." She shrugs. "If that's what you want me to do...I'll promise."

I don't respond, I just turn and walk toward the front door. Garrett is here and she needs to get ready. Daryl has been keeping an ear out. He told me yesterday that Ivan has made it here to the United States. He doesn't know what he's here for but he went to meet with the Northern Council.

He also informed me that Dayo, her mother, and Aaron left to go to the Bahamas for her mother's birthday. So he's been staying in town here. He's very good at masking his scent and he wears contacts. Hopefully, the wolves here will mistake him for being human. The only way they would know is if they were actually paying attention that he had no scent.

Garrett is standing in the living room when I make it to the front. He's standing in front of the TV flipping through the channels "Bro, after the barbeque we should go run on the other side of the mountains, closer to the lake" His eyes never leave the TV when he says this. "Lydia has been all over me. So I'm just going to tell her we are going on a run. Everyone knows how much you hate being around the pack, so it would be believable." He turns his pleading eyes toward me, hoping I say yes.