Chapter 8: Deja

"What do people do for fun here?" I ask the giant as we drive to the store.

He shrugs

"I don't know why I try with you. I will ask Garrett. He looks like he has fun."

He doesn't say anything. He's been especially quieter than usual since his family came by. He's only been grunting and shrugging.

"What happened with your mate?"

"You're my mate."

"Well according to Allison I'm not a wolf or sangria...whatever, a vampire so I can't be your mate."

"You are my mate, you felt us bind together."

"Well, what happened to the supposed mate." I use air quotes.

"She was pranking me for fun. She was never my mate."

My head snaps to him. "Pranking you? For fun?" I watch him. He doesn't seem like the type that would have friends that would prank him. "Do you think it was for fun?" He doesn't answer. "If I see her I'm gonna kick her ass."

"You can't...she's a wolf she would kill you in a fight."

"Did you really have to just correct me?"

"Yes because if you tried I would have to kill her."

Smiling at him, I shake my head at his bluntness. We pull up to the store and he parks the truck. I open my door and slide out. When I turn, the giant already has Zay out and is holding him.

We walk into the store and all eyes fall on us. I feel a little self-conscious. I look down at my jacket and jeans. "Creepy," I think.

"Is this a wolf store?" I whisper.

"No. It's humans in here too."

"Why are they staring at us?"

"Me."

Grabbing a basket I take Zay from the giant and put him in the basket. "We don't need much, we will be leaving the day after tomorrow." Looking up, I start reading the isles. The giant follows close behind us. It's weird because people are scurrying out of our way like they think I may run my basket into them.

I'm not big on cooking - mostly because I can't, so I look around for some hamburger helper and cereal. Then I grab a frozen beef pizza. I walk toward the meat section and pause. "This is the biggest fucking meat section," I whisper. Looking around I see whole frozen pigs in a bin. I see a large bin with cut-up frozen deer.

"Oh my gosh you got Bambi and his family cut up like steak. I think I'm going to be sick," I say turning my head away quickly.

The giant looks over in the bin and then back at me.

"That's deer." Shaking my head I push the cart away from the bin.

We have to stand in line for the pound of beef because this store doesn't have prepackaged meat. Grabbing some fruit snacks and apples we head to the front.

"Your diet is unhealthy."

"I got some apples," I say smiling at him. He stares at me with a blank expression.

"Hey, Gray."

The giant and I both turn and see this tall blonde standing right behind us. Now I'm not ugly or anything but standing next to the tall model I have to say I'm lacking in some areas. She's about 5'10, lean, with one of those baywatch tans from TV. Everything on her is perfectly proportioned.