Chapter 22: Deja

The sound of my phone vibrating under the pillow pulls me out of my dreamless sleep. I moan pushing my left hand under the pillow to feel for the device that woke me out of the best sleep I've gotten since the dreams started.

Asia: Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Deja, Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday, Bitch!!!!

Asia: I hope you ready to get fucked up tonight.🥳🤤

Felicia: What are you wearing? Let's hit up the mall I need something

Felicia: Happy Birthday 🎉🎊🎈🎁

Nicolas: Happy Birthday. Let's go get breakfast

Genesis: Do you have my black flare leg jeans I can't find them

Javier: Happy B-day

Nate: Happy Birthday Queen

Miguel: Happy Birthday! What are you doing today? I have Zay with me, we are on our way to the zoo.

The last text has me sitting up in the bed. How the hell does Miguel have Zay. I jump up but stop short when I open my bedroom door. Balloons are floating everywhere. "Who did this?" I think as a stupid grin forms on my lips. Walking down the hall the strings of each balloon slide across my face, as I find more and more balloons.

"Did Grayson do this?" When I step into the living room Grayson isn't there. Turning, I see a large vase full of yellow roses sitting on the kitchen island. "Oh my gosh, they're beautiful." I rush over and run my hand over the soft smooth petals, before peeking down at the card that reads Happy Birthday.

"Grayson? Where are you?" I wait but he doesn't respond. I know he's not close because I can't feel his presence. "Where the fuck is he?" I wonder. Turning on my toes, I stroll to the bathroom. It's already eleven-thirty, so I've slept the morning away and need to get my busy day started.

Once I'm all done showering, I throw on some jeans and a t-shirt. "I should go and get the rest of our things and bring them here. I don't want to go back to Genesis's. And why is she calling about jeans, she knows I didn't take her jeans." I think, picking up my phone, checking the time. It's twelve twenty-two.

Me to Asia: Felicia wants to hit the mall...come get me

Me to Felicia: Just texted Asia. Not sure yet hope I can find something

Me to Nicolas: Sorry. Just woke up, raincheck?

Me to Miguel: Thanks!!! I'm going out with my friends. You hanging? And how did you get Zay?

Me to Javier: You got my cupcakes? You know I want cupcakes...lub you

Me to Genesis: I can't fit your clothes

Me to Nate: Thanks

The house is still quiet but I can feel Grayson close. I rush out of my room but he's still nowhere in the house. "Grayson where are you?"

I stand still waiting for a response. When I get nothing, I turn and head back to the bedroom so I can try to tame this lion's mane of mine but stop in mid-step when I hear the door open and shut. "Was he in the garage this whole time? No, I would have felt him. He must have just got here."

When I walk back into the living room he's standing by the kitchen counter with that damn blank expression on his face. I smile at him. "Thanks for all the balloons and the roses."

He holds up a plastic bag of food from iHop and I chuckle. My giant, I love him so much.

"Ummm...How did Zay get with Miguel?" Grayson tilts his head at my question like a dog would do. I almost want to laugh but I seriously want to know.