Chapter 5: Deja

"He keeps coming in here watching you. It's creepy, are you sure you don't want me to tell him to leave?" Denise asks.

She is leaning on the back counter. Looking up I look over to the back table.

"I'm leaving today. Going back home."

"I'm sure. He's not bothering me. He doesn't even talk to me," I tell her, ignoring the voice that has been talking to me the last two days.

"I'm leaving today." He says again.

"Where are you going?" I ask him, feeling a weird sense of loss from his words.

"Well, he's just weird and weird looking." Denise sighs. "It's a shame. All that man wrapped up in a weird package."

Laughing, I look at Denise. "So because he is an albino that makes him off-limits for you."

"I'm not an albino."

"Yes. He's too pale and then it's those creepy eyes." She scrunches up her face and visibly shivers. "I bet he's never had sex."

I laugh again as I wait on the next customer. "Well, you can always ask him. He might surprise you and be good in bed."

"Deja - we are mates. Why are you offering me to someone else?"

"Hell naw. I'm not asking him shit. I think he's retarded or something. I don't even think he can talk."

Snapping my head to her, I glare at her. "What I tell you about using that word."

She holds up her hands. "I'm sorry I forgot. It was nothing against Zay he's perfectly fine, but you have to admit the man is off."

Turning, I breathe out a puff of air. The next customer comes up and I wait on them.

"Come with me."

"I can't leave Zay here. There will be no one to take care of him."

"Bring him with you."

Shaking my head. I pass the customer his cappuccino.

"Come with me...I can't leave you here."

I shake my head again as I wipe the counter off.

"Come for a weekend. I can't be without you... you're my mate."

"I wouldn't have a way there."

"Rent a car."

"I don't have a driver's license."

"Deja you are not listening to me."

"I'm sorry. What did you say?" I ask Denise.

"I was saying that Shaquan came in looking for you."

Blinking twice I look at her before rolling my eyes. "Why is he looking for me. I told him I'm not fucking with him."

"Well, you know how niggas are." She says looking down at her nails.

"Bitch what you just say?" Both Denise and I turn at the voice and see two very angry black women glaring at us, well Denise.

"Excuse me?" Denise asks, rolling her neck and stepping up closer to the counter.

"Bitch. What. The. Fuck. Did. You. Just. Say?" The girl asks standing up straighter and closer to the counter.

"Is everything ok?"

"Umm... let's calm down Denise didn't mean it. She dates a black man and he lets her say it. She forgets it not ok with everyone," I say trying to defuse the situation.