Chapter 7: Deja

Waking up in a strange house is weird but the bed was so comfortable. Way more comfortable than any bed I've ever slept on. I don't understand why the giant has this nice house but chooses to sleep in the woods. Looking over, I see Zay is still asleep so I slide out of bed and run to the bathroom. Once I've brushed my teeth and washed my face I head to the kitchen but am stopped short when I see the front door opening.

It's not the Giant - it's a tall white woman, Garrett, and a man that looks like Garrett.

"Hey Deja, was it?" He looks unsure.

I nod my head.

"This is my mom Allison and my dad Grant." He seems nervous.

"Nice to meet you," I say - uncertain why they're here. "Umm...the giant, I mean Grayson isn't here - at least I don't think he's here."

"We know," Allison says. "We came to meet you?"

"Meet me?" I furrow my brow. "Why?"

They all look back and forth at each other. Garrett scratches his head. "My mom...Allison is Gray's mom and I'm his brother."

My eyes go wide at the information. "Oh, he didn't tell me you were his brother or that he had any family." Cocking my head to the side I think back. "Well, he doesn't say much of anything. He always answers or asks questions in as few words as possible," I say smiling. "...but I'm sure you already know that."

They all nod. "Well, I told my mom that you weren't a wolf so they wanted to check and see if you were the other thing."

"The other thing?" I furrow my brow in confusion.

"Yes, a Sanguivore," Garret says and smiles.

"What is a Sand-u..voe?" I ask because I'm really confused. "What the hell is the giant? I thought he was just some weird half-wolf, half-man?" I muse to myself. My grandmother has always warned us about other creatures but I thought she had just watched too much TV until I met the giant.

"Sanguivore or blood feeders. Humans call them vampires. They don't have scents so we wouldn't be able to tell by smelling you, but their eyes no matter what color have a pinkish tint to them."

"Ok...what a minute." I put up a finger and step back. "Why would you think I'm a vampire?"

They all look at each other again. Allison steps up this time. "Because Grayson is half Sanguivore," she whispers.

My eyes widen the size of sources. My heartbeat picks up. I can feel my body start to shake. "So he brought me here to kill me and take my blood."

They all shake their heads "No. It's against pack law to bring a vampire on pack land," Allison rushes out.

"So how does he live here?"

"Because he's my son, and he's still half-wolf. He lives his life as a wolf. We have taught him how to control his other urges."

Needing to sit down I walk over to the couch and flop down. They follow behind me and take seats.

"So the giant is half-wolf, half-vampire. Is that why he looks like an albino?"

"Yes. We think it was the mutation of both species' cells melding together. Normally an infant born like Grayson would have died hours after being born, but Gray survived. There's no other in history like him. He's stronger than any wolf and he possesses powers that no wolf has ever had."

"The mind control stuff?"

"Yes. We came over to make sure he hadn't taken you against your will or bought one of the others thinking they were a human. He told Garrett you were his mate; his other half chose you. Sanguivores don't have mates like wolves." She looks at me with sad eyes. "They do a claiming. It's kind of like a marriage: they find another that they are attracted to and they fuse their life sources. They don't do it often because vampires are very sexual creatures, and don't like to be tied down for life to another."