Chapter 21: Grayson

Four men just walked out of the large house as I pull the key out of the ignition of the truck. I had already sensed the house when I pulled up, so I had already known they were here. I sit and watch them not being able to scent them because the window is up, but I'm positive they are sanguivores.

I open my door and jump out of the truck. When I round the truck they all walk off the porch fanning out as if they are trying to surround me. The front door opens again and Akilah and Dayo walk out, followed by another taller and paler man.

"Grayson," Akilah says smiling. I don't respond. I didn't call her before coming out here but I had already figured out when I left the last time that Akilah has the gift of sight. She can see things before they come to pass, so she knew I was coming.

Dayo walks off the porch to stand beside me. I watch her not saying anything because if she makes one wrong move I will break her neck. I don't trust easy, and today is not the day to start.

"This is my bonded-mate, Aaron. He is from the Western Council." She smiles when she looks over at the guy standing beside her. "And these are some of his friends. "He wants to help you find the person hunting Deja."

Aaron steps up, hands up, I'm guessing to show he poses no threat. "We want to help take down the Eastern Council. Our council here is only for show and won't help with this problem. We've been trying to come up with a plan that will take down the Eastern Council but did not think we had enough power between all of us. But with you on our side, we can bring them down."

I stare at him before letting my eyes dart over the group of men. His heartbeat had only a slight hitch, letting me know that most of his words were true, but there were also some untruths in his statement. But why would they think I would help them? I don't know them.

"I have a pack." Is my response to his words.

"You have a pack of wolves...with no abilities, I might add," One of the other men standing closer to the porch says. He's the shortest out of the group, but way muscular than the other men.

"True." I nod. "But we have numbers. And with numbers and with me we can be almost unstoppable," I say staring at Aaron, who I assume is their leader. "Plus I don't sense any power coming from either of you. Do any of you have abilities that can take down ten Primes?"

"Don't," Akilah says, holding up her hand when the first guy on the end steps up and throws his hand up. He's maybe an inch shorter than Aaron, with a swimmer's build and dark complexion. His hair is dreaded and he has tattoos decorating both arms. "Don't forget if he wants your abilities he can take them leaving you defenseless."

"Look...Grayson." Aaron steps closer. "They took Shawn's bonded-mates daughter, and when we finally found her, after months of searching, she had been sucked dry and her stomach had been cut open from where they stole the baby she must have been carrying. We have to stop them."

I stare at him letting his words play around in my head. If I get in this I could be putting Deja and the boy in danger. I can only be responsible for my mate. I flick my gaze over to Akilah. "Why didn't you tell me this when we came to you?"

"It was Dayo's place to tell you; she's your witch. Plus, I was not convinced that it was true. Aaron came back home yesterday and told me what they found when they went to Europe."

"I'm not strong enough to go against a council full of Primes. My only mission right now is to keep my mate safe. I only came out here today because I need you to find this man." I step closer, handing a piece of paper to Akilah.

She reaches for the paper. When she takes it she reads the name on the paper. "Ivan Sokolov?"

"Yes. He is the man coming into Deja's dreams."