Chapter 6: Grayson

"That will have to do." I think as I run my hands over the soft navy and grey comforter I just spread out over the bed.

Yesterday when I made it home I had to go get a bed for the guest room and furniture for the living room. My house was empty other than the bed I had. I always sleep in the woods in my wolf form. I only use my house to bathe.

I went to the Walmart two towns over and got sheets, towels, pots, silverware, and plates. I also went to look for hair products, soaps, and lotion but based on videos I watched on YouTube black women use different products. So I will take her to the store if she wants something different.

I also grabbed a TV and some toys for a boy.

"Grayson where are you?" I hear my mom yell from the front of the house. Shutting the door to the guest room, I head to the front room.

"Why didn't you tell me you were back?" She asks looking around the living room. "When did you get furniture?"

"I grabbed a few things yesterday."

"A few things!" She gives me a puzzled look. "You have a couch, love seat, rug, and TV." She's smiling, now. I know she thinks all this means something.

"Well, I came over because Grant wants you to go and check the woods for rogues." She looks up at me when she sits down on the couch. "Comfy. Why haven't you been answering your text?"

Reaching in my back pocket I pull out my phone and see four texts from Grant.

"I was in the woods earlier and didn't sense anything. What part of the woods?"

"Up by the horse ranch. One of the horses is missing."

Closing my eyes. I reach out and sense for a horse or anyone not a part of the pack.

"The horse is five miles down the lake with Karen Hathaway's son."

She pulls her phone out of her pocket and texts Grant. "Thanks, Gray."

I nod my head.

"You should come to the house for dinner tonight."

"I can't tonight."

"Ok." She's nodding. "Well, the place looks nice. We should get pictures for the walls."

"Maybe." She smiles at my words.

🐾

"When you said town. I thought you meant a small city, but this is a small damn town," Deja says, handing me her bags. I know everyone is watching our interactions. I never talk to anyone other than my family or Beck.

"Oh and I'm so glad to be off that bus. Zay did not like the ride. I think I might have to give him some Benadryl for the ride back." She laughs at her words.

"No more bus Deja," the boy says. She smiles when she looks at him.

I sit her bags over in the bed of the truck, and then we all get in the truck and drive to my house.

"There's no food so we will need to stop at the store."

"No food. What do you eat?"

"Animals in the woods."

She gives me a disgusted look. "Please don't eat Bambi or Thumper when I'm here. Don't even eat Flower."

"I don't know Bambi or Thumper, but I'm a wolf so we don't eat flowers."

She laughs before a horrified look crosses her face. "Are there other things here like you? And will they eat us?"

"No. There are no others like me, but there are other wolves."