37| The Final Battle

Elite Seven's Hideout...

In a fairly concealed forest inside a house, the Elite Seven is currently using this as their current hideout. As of now, Poney lied down on a bed, their last skirmish was up against the Retribution Group.

Najasho had severely wounded her, making Poney unfit for combat at the moment. Akame was currently watching over her.

Akame: "It's okay, Poney. You're going to pull through."

Green: (thoughts) 'But she might never be able to fight again...dammit.'

Poney: (weakly) "...Najasho...Akira."

Akame: "Poney...it's okay now!"

Poney: "If I'm still alive...then the brainwashing they did on Najasho and Akira...must not be that strong. You saw it...right, Akame?"

Akame: (nods) "I did, Poney. I really did."

Poney: "...Because if he'd...or either of them...had come at me intending to kill me...I'd be dead right now..."

Akame: "Poney..."

Afterwards, both Green and Akame left the room and went in another, leaving Poney to rest. Akame was currently leaning up against the wall, Green in a thinking position.

Green: "I wish...we could break they're brainwashing."

Akame: "Yeah...there must be some way."

Green: "If we kill the puppeteer controlling them, I bet we can break the spell. He probably has to stay close to chief and Akira in order to maintain control over him. I wish we could hide and observe him, but the one pulling his strings is always around."

Akame: "So when his controller said chief and Akira would die if we just killed him, it was a bluff to keep himself from being attacked?"

Green: "I've never heard of a case where the death of the parasite necessarily kills the host. Though it is wishful thinking."

Akame: (determined look) "It's enough to go on. Let's put our bets on that."

Green: (grabs Akame's shoulders) "But don't get hung up on them. I don't want you to end up dead too!"

Akame: "Green..."

Green: "Y-You'd probably think it's cold of me to tell you not to get too attached, but..."

Akame: "No. You're being nice, Green. Thank you for worry about me."

Green: "Akame..."

Akame: "But I can't give up on them...I can't."

Green stood there, silently. He noted that once Akira had supposedly "died," she started wearing his necklace. Not only that, any topic that pertained to the icy blue-eyed teen, she'd listen intently. It made Green think, how much did Akame care about Akira as a person? He wondered back to what she told him, how she thought of Akira as a brother. For some reason, Green had doubts about that.

Mount Hakuba, Rebel Army Base...

Mashiro: "Is Lorris okay?"

Leaning up against a wooden beam, Mashiro had peered into the room over, seeing Lorris kneeling on the floor with a small low table in front of her. Another low table sat next to her with another one sitting in front of her. Mashiro could hear the young girl talking to herself, but she couldn't make out what she was saying. Mudi then looked to the scene.

Mudi: "She's using hallucinations to keep her mind from breaking completely so she can continue as normal...I think it shows what a pro she is. It's far better than getting so depressed that her battle performance suffers."