4| Cruel World

Akame was nervous. She stood in the moonlight in Rousei Village, standing among the graves in the cemetery. The instructions she had received from Gozuki was a shocking revelation. Her target was none other than Martha, the very same woman she loved to talk to, the woman she'd deliver her fish in order to fulfill her quota.

She didn't want to believe that Martha herself was an informant for the Revolutionary army. It was just something that seemed impossible. She then heard footsteps from behind, it coming from the person she had called out...Martha.

Martha: "What's wrong, Akame? Why did you call me out this late at night?"

Akame: (thoughts) 'No matter how hard I try...I can't see a person as kind as Martha being a spy. Could Father's information have been incorrect...?'

Martha: "Oh! Are you trying to negotiate a higher price for your food ingredients? Then just come back around lunchtime--"

Akame: "Martha!"

Martha: (nervous) "Akame?"

Akame: "I have something I want to ask you. Please answer honestly. ...Are you a spy for the Revolutionary Army?"

The older woman stares at the red-eyed girl in confusion, her pausing for a few moments. It wasn't until Martha started to laugh, catching Akame off guard.

Martha: "What are you talking about, Akame? How could I be an informant for the Revolutionary Army? Even as a joke, this isn't funny at all!"

Akame: "Ye-Yeah! You're right!"

Martha: "Akame, someone's playing a joke on you! I should go to complain to Gozuki!"

Akame: "Uh...um, you...you can't do that! I'll go double-check. I'm sorry, Martha!"

Akame turns to leave, thinking her "Father" was wrong. But she then felt murderous intent behind her, Akame quickly turning around and taking a step back. She couldn't believe her eyes. She really didn't want to believe it.

In Martha's hand, was a knife. She tried to kill her. 

Martha: "Oh? I barely nicked you. Not bad, Akame."

Akame: "Ma-Martha..."

Martha: "That's not good at all, you know? You should've been taught by Gozuki that...you should never trust what your target says. It's the most basic rule of those who live in the shadows."

Akame: (eyes wide) "Then...then Martha, you really are..."

Martha: "Yep. I'm an informant for the Revolutionary Army."

Akame: "Ugh...!" (thoughts) 'My body is going numb...it was coated with poison...!'

Martha: "Normally you shouldn't even be able to stand...not bad. So you learned to resist poison through training and eating."

Akame: (breathing heavily) "Martha...why?"

Martha: "Akame...I've been watching you for many years, so I know. It'd be easier for you if you died right here."

Martha had dashed forward, slashing and thrusting her knife forward in hopes she strikes the ravenette. Akame kept dodging and blocking the attacks with her Shingu, her heart racing as her life was on the line.

Martha: "I'll make it painless..."

Akame: (thoughts) 'I'm going to die here...!? Then...then...Kurome will be all by herself...!' "I won't let that happen!"

Slashing her katana forward, Martha's knife was deflected, the older woman shocked as she took a few steps back. Akame was breathing heavily, a deadly glare set on Martha.