28| Fourth Casualty

Akame: "Green, you're all right! Thank goodness..."

Green: (clasps Akame's hand) "It was a close one, but the thought of you, Akame, gave me limitless strength..."

Akame: (blushes) "Green..."

Reality...

Green: "If I can just imagine that scene, I can keep running!"

Currently, as what happened earlier, Green was running away from Daniel, Merraid Oarburgh's head butler. The glasses wearing teen kept imagining that scene, him oddly enough able to keep running for extended periods of time. It was even giving Daniel a hard time in catching up.

With Gin...

Having been separated from Akira and Poney, Gin had run out into the hallway. But the blonde girl gritted her teeth in frustration as Merraid Oarburgh stood in her way. Bringing her blade over her head, she goes for an overhead slash.

Gin: "Get outta my way, bitch!"

Merraid: (lustful grin) "You can call me, Mera."

The Oarburgh raised her umbrella for defense. Surprising Gin, the umbrella was able to hold it's own against her sword, not even making a dent in it. But what Gin could tell was how strong Merraid is. Letting out a "tch," Gin jumps back, getting away from Merraid.

Merraid: "You're probably thinking you can defeat me to open an escape route for yourself, but...that's the wrong strategy."

Dragging the sharp tip of the umbrella across the floor, she points it in front of Gin. She unwraps it's flaps, Gin's view of Merraid's body being obstructed.

Merraid: "When an assassin is driven into a corner, she mustn't fight. She should flee without any hesitation..."

The Oarburgh stands there for a moment, making Gin confused. It wasn't until Merraid begun to spin her umbrella rapidly, Gin realizing what it was as she jumps into the air.

Gin: (thoughts) 'Hypnosis! Not good!'

Merraid: (grin) "Wrigglers."

The beetles from before then burst out from the umbrella, Gin gritting her teeth. She began to furiously slash the air, any oncoming bugs coming towards her being cut down.

Gin: "As if I'd let some bugs be the end of me!"

Merraid: "Sadly for you, the will indeed be your end."

Now close enough to the blonde, Merraid thrusts her arm forward, using her fingernails to slash at Gin. Gin dodges, using her hand on the floor to slide under Merraid's arm. As Gin skids back, Merraid had a grin as Gin's blood dripped from her finger nails.

Merraid: "Most people are wary of my umbrella and can't help but be given pause...I didn't expect you to charge right for it."

Gin: (pops open medicine bottle) "Like they say, 'desperate times call for desperate measures.'"

Merraid: "Had you been a good little girl and let the hypnosis take effect, you could've lived a little longer. Assassination isn't the kind of career for someone impulsive like you. If you let your heart control your body, you'll end up dead."

Gin: (sips medicine bottle) "Says you." (thoughts) 'All right, this is okay. When it comes to the Oarburghs, I have to be on my guard against poisoning. Even if it's a new strain of poison, this should be able to counter it's effects.'

Merraid: "I'm not using poison. And I don't lie to girls."

Gin: "Hah! We'll see about that! Now. Out of my way!"