Untitled Part 40

"Do you really own a gun?" I asked Kia later that night.

I had to know. It's been bothering me for weeks. She is too fucking classy to carry a gun. I just can't picture it.

"Um, yeah. Mateo taught me and I'm actually pretty good at it." She said awkwardly.

"I'm so turned on hearing this. I think you need to show me soon." I smiled, while she laughed at me.

She grinned a little and sighed. Since this night seems to be about confessions, I might as well ask the burning questions I have for her.

"Why? Why did you feel you had to start carrying a gun?" I asked her.

"You heard the report Jacob gave. He is unpredictable, and terrifying. I had to." She said, looking away.

"What made you leave finally?" I asked.

"When he almost killed me, and I spent a week in coma. My face was so bruised, you couldn't tell it was me. He broke my arm and ruptured my spleen. All because dinner wasn't ready that night." She said wiping a tear away.

Have I mentioned that I want to kick the living shit out of Carlos? What fucking man puts his hands on a woman? If I see him near her, I am positive someone will need to bail me out of jail. Fucking piece of shit.

"I don't remember much of the night, other than he was in a rage over dinner. He hit me a few times, then slammed my head into the kitchen cupboards. Everything is a black haze after that. He left me alone when he was done." She sniffled.

"How did you get help then?" I whispered.

"This is so fucked up. So, there was a friend of his who knew what a fuckbag Carlos was. He would always check on me when he knew Carlos was in a bad mood. He came by that night after Carlos showed up with blood on his shirt. He called for an ambulance." She sighed.

I am beyond horrified and pissed off. I don't think there are enough words to describe what I'm feeling after hearing this.

But, I remembered to remain calm.

"Jesus christ. Does this guy still hang out with Carlos?" I asked.

"He died in a drive by last year. He wanted out of the gang and made it known." She said sadly.

"Babe, I gotta ask this. Did you know Carlos was in a gang?" I asked her.

"Not until after we were married. I know it makes me sound like an idiot, but, he hid it from me. He was really good at hiding it too. Had I known, I would of never even dated him." She said, wiping her eyes.

"How long did it take you to recover?" I asked.

"Three months. I had swelling on the brain from being hit so much in the head. I was this weak, frail girl before. I hated who I was. I vowed to never rely on anyone, and never get close again. I had to. I'm scared now, but I try to act like I'm not." She said, her voice cracking some.

I understood her now. All of her reasons for everything that I've ever wondered about. She had to protect herself. She had to protect her heart. Her need to be independent. Everything made sense to me after so long.

"I stayed with Mateo during that time. Carlos wasn't stupid enough to fuck with Mateo. Mateo doesn't always remember he is back in the United States after serving as a marine for so long." She told me.

"So, how did you get him to leave you alone?" I asked, watching her grow slightly pale.

"Babe? Please, no more secrets." I said softly.