Untitled Part 45

"Oh wow." Kia whispered, staring at me in shock.

Not the reaction I had hoped for. Did I cross the line with her? Is it too soon? I mean, I figured since we are living together now, this wouldn't even be an issue. I feel incredibly stupid now. And pissed at myself. Pissed for just automatically thinking she would say yes. I mean, this is Kia we are talking about. There is nothing easy about this woman, I swear.

I sighed and got out of bed, yanking my clothes on. Kia quickly threw on her shirt and underwear, still not saying a word. Now, I am more irritated.

"Just forget it." I said bitterly.

"Brian, I wasn't expecting you to ask me that." She said nervously.

"Obviously." I said, annoyed.

"Hey, this is a huge commitment. You have to see where I'm surprised." She pleaded with me.

"I get it, you don't want to. Just fucking forget." I growled, glaring at her.

Kia immediately shrunk back inside herself when she saw how irritated I was. The nervous glances at me. The fidgeting with her hands. All of that says she's scared of me. And I'm such an asshole! I just told her a few weeks ago, I wouldn't act like this anymore, yet, here I am.

"Babe, I'm sorry." I said quietly.

"It's fine. Look, I'm tired." She mumbled, still not looking at me.

"No, you're scared of me. And, I just broke my promise to you. Will you sit down please?" I asked softly.

She hesitated a moment, then sat a small distance from me. I hate when this happens. I understand that her mind goes right back to when she was married and this is how I assume things would lead to her being hit. It's more than obvious that she is traumatized by it. I'm certainly not helping matters.

"Kia, come here. You know I would never raise my hand to you." I said, slowly extending a hand to her.

She swallowed hard, nodding her head. She reached over and took my hand. I pulled her closer to me, holding her against my chest.

"Brian, I'm sorry." She sniffled.

Oh, god. No, please not the tears!

"Shh. Look at me, please?" I asked, watching her lean up.

"I understand why you get scared. You don't have to explain it unless you want to. I'm sorry I was shitty to you. I want this. I want us to be together all the time. What are you scared of?" I asked carefully.

"I've worked so hard to be independent. And, what if we don't work out living together? What if we both change?" She asked worried.

"Listen to me, I would never, ever take away your independence. I love that you want to work and do things without me. I would never ask that you stop any of it. Baby, tell me what has been wrong the last week. You've been avoiding me since I said I was selling my house." I sighed.

"Oh god. I don't want to come across clingy or needy." She groaned, sitting up.

"Just tell me." I prompted her.

"It's so stupid. I'm scared that if you move, you'll leave me behind. I have this irrational fear of being left alone after my mom left. I hate it. When Juan moved out before me, I thought I would never see him again. It's completely stupid." She said, wiping her eyes.

"No, it's not. It sounds like you have every right to feel that way. Your mother abandoned you. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't be scared after that." I said, wiping a tear away.