Thirteen

"What?" Serena asked as the shoes fell from her hand. Olivia quickly leaned down and picked them up before moving them to their spot. She stood and ran her hands over her pants before heading towards the living room.

"Mama, Elliot and Brandy were in a relationship before we got back together... and you know that. Miles is three, and he is the sweetest little boy. Brandy has all of her paperwork filled out, and I looked over it. It states that after we file all the papers with the court, Elliot will have full and complete custody of Miles. Brandy signed away her rights because she wants nothing to do with him." Olivia explained as she picked up a few cars that Miles had played with.

"So you are helping him raise the boy?" Doug asked, and Olivia nodded.

"That's my plan. Elliot and I are back together, and we are so incredibly happy. Finding out about Miles was hard, but at least I know Elliot didn't cheat on me. We are going to be a family, and figure things out as we go." Olivia smiled.

Everyone was silent as they settled down on the couch. Serena's mouth was still wide open, and she didn't know what to do at all. Her daughter was already a step-mother at only twenty-two, and before she had a kid of her own.

"Are you two going to move in together?" Doug asked, and Olivia nodded.

"Yeah, that's the plan. I have an extra room, so Miles will stay in there and Elliot and I will be... well, you know what our sleeping arrangement will be."

"Honey, this a huge deal.... a giant change, baby. Maybe you should think this through. Take some time and really decide what you want." Serena spoke, and Olivia nodded before sinking down on the coffee table. She grabbed her mother's hands as she smiled.

"I'm ready for this, Mama. I am ready to be a mother to Miles, and I already am starting to love him. Brandy destroyed him, but I know I can help fix some of the damage she has caused."

///

When Elliot got home with Miles, they had dinner, and that was the focus. But once dinner was done, everyone got to meet Miles and talk about what was happening.

"So Brandy didn't take good care of him?" Serena asked as she sat beside Elliot. He turned and looked at her before shaking his head.

"No, she didn't. He's tiny for his age, and he isn't sturdy like you would expect a boy his age to be. He weighs less than my niece."

"When are you filing the paperwork? If you'd like, Doug and I can have our lawyer look over them. Just to make sure there isn't a clause in there that would allow Brandy to come into Miles' life. Or one that wouldn't allow Olivia to adopt him."

"Adopt him? Did she say that she wants to adopt him?" Elliot asked with wide eyes.

"She said she is falling in love with him already. She has an enormous heart, and I just don't want Brandy to be allowed to break it again." Serena frowned.

"I won't let that happen. She is too important to me, and I love her a lot."

"Are you willing to commit to her and-"

"Mother, stop harassing him." Olivia spoke as she came out of the bathroom with Miles on her hip. He had completely covered himself in pasta sauce from dinner, so he was very much in need of a bath.

"Baby, we just want to make sure that you are getting treated well."

"Elliot has changed, and we are good. I love him, and I'm enjoying what we started together. It's all new, but it's good. So please, stop it." Olivia sighed before she looked over at Miles.

"Liv, can I go to bed?" Miles asked, and Olivia smiled and nodded.

"Of course, buddy."

///

Bernie agreed to watch Miles during the day until Elliot and Olivia could figure out a different person to watch him. After work, Olivia and Elliot had to go to the courthouse to file all the paperwork, which was making both of them nervous.

"How is your day going so far?" Olivia asked as she and her boyfriend sat in her classroom for lunch.

"I'm really nervous... how about you?" Elliot replied. Olivia swallowed hard before nodding in agreement.

"I have been anxious all day. The kids don't notice, which is nice though."

"I have been doing beginning of the year testing, so I have been doing a good job focusing all of my nervous energy on that." 

"How are my students doing with that?" Olivia asked, and Elliot shrugged.

"All the younger kids don't really understand the point of me testing them, so it is hard." He laughed. Olivia smiled and nodded before looking over at the clock.

"Do you think we will stay together?" Olivia asked.

"What do you mean?"

"El, I'm asking you this because I'd like to get married at some point and maybe adopt Miles. I'd like to be his mother, because he deserves someone who actually loves him and cares for him."

"I think that we will grow old together, and at one point you will be able to adopt him. I'd sign the papers today if I knew there was a way." Elliot smiled as he reached across Olivia's desk and gently grabbed her hand.

"I love you." Olivia breathed as her cheeks grew red.

"I love you too, Liv. We really need to make sure we tell the principal today. Make sure he knows that we are together."

"We also need to try and get Miles enrolled here. He could do preschool." Olivia replied.

"Yeah, we probably should. But before that, we need to focus on filing the papers today."

///

"So she wants nothing to do with the child?" The man asked as he flipped through all the paperwork to make sure it was complete.

"No sir, she doesn't." Elliot replied.

"And this isn't Brandy Lewis?" He asked, as he pointed at Olivia.

"No! This is my girlfriend, Olivia Benson. She is going to be helping me with Miles."

"Well, I would say this is ready. But the boy's mother forgot to sign one part."