28 | stop being a dickhead

15TH NOVEMBER

15TH NOVEMBER.
ORION ACADEMY: 
LEX AND KARAN'S ROOM.

EVER SINCE LEX had become the first freshman basketball captain in the last decade, his social popularity status had increased to a point where he started to feel exhausted. The practice had doubled in numbers and so were the people trying to make a conversation with him. It was funny--really, how a simple position in his team changed his lifestyle to a whole new level. 

As much as he loved it, it was also very mind numbing. 

But despite the basketball practice, lectures and homework--he still couldn't keep his mind off of Aphrodite. He regretted telling her right after the words crawled out. Not only because it was heartbreaking but also because it wasn't his part to tell her. He had let his selfishness to have her all to himself get the best of him. The image of Aphrodite kissing her was still fresh. Each time, it got worse. His heart felt heavy every time Yumi sat close to Aphrodite, every time Aphrodite smiled at her. He wanted to escape. And thankfully, his mother (technically sister) had handed it to him on a silver plate. 

"You are coming, right? I haven't seen you in a month. You look so pale," His mother said. Even though they were Face Timing, his mother wasn't looking at him. Her eyes were travelling on the white dresses surrounding her. 

"I am, Ma. I wouldn't miss it. If I do, Sofia will kill me." He snorted. 

His Ma's phone was snatched by his sister. She smirked. "You bet your ass I will." She ran her fingers down her long brown hair, similar to his, and played with them--which told him one thing. She was nervous. He can't blame her for her nervousness--she was getting married in a week and her picky trait was a setback to the event. 

"Have you chosen a wedding dress yet?" 

Upon his statement, his sister's room brightening smile vanished. "No. The dresses are good but not perfect. Sometimes the sash is not good, sometimes the fabric. We've been to three stores, yet I can't find the one." 

"Maybe stop being a perfectionist?" Lex suggested. It was mostly a tease but his tone stated otherwise. He was too tired to make a joke. 

"Maybe stop being a dickhead?"  His sister countered. His mother seemed to have given her a pointed look because in return, Sofia had rolled her eyes. She looked back at the screen. "It's not about being perfect, Lex." She sighed. No mockery in her tone. She took a few steps away from her mother and whispered, "Chris and I haven't been the strongest couple, you know. We were toxic at first but then things got better. And this wedding, I want it to be a symbol, not just for the trans community but also that things can get better if you both work for it." 

She is correct. Chris is a trans male and that created a lot of hurdles in their relationship. Not because of his identity but because of the involvement of the people around them. Even their parents weren't accepting Sofia and Chris' relationship but eventually, they got around. And now, Lex's mother, Nora was the best supporter he had ever seen.