40 | a battle with death

trigger warning. this chapter mentions death and descriptions of getting away with a dead body. reader's discretion advised.

 reader's discretion advised

20TH NOVEMBER.
ORION ACADEMY:
ORION WOODS

THEIR SKIN WARMED up against the wild flames that danced in front of them. Under the darkened sky and amidst the stranded woods, the fire howled in silence. The strong smell of smoke infused with decaying material filled in Aphrodite's nostrils, making her nauseous. It was like leather lit up on fire, only worse.

A shaky breath escaped from the person standing to her right. Yumi's fingers tore into her flesh as her grip tightened with each passing second. She looked over at Yumi whose small face was covered in dirt. Her eyes were closed, afraid to take a peek at the sight in front of us. A few teardrops rolled down her cheeks.

Beside her stood Karan and West--who shared contrasting expressions. Karan watched the flames with confusion and a tiny bit of amusement while West was looking anywhere but the fire.

Aphrodite's next reaction was to look at her left. Her slender hand was wrapped around Lex's arm. His face hardened at her gaze. He snapped his face towards her. Her legs were wobbly and she couldn't think straight.

"I can...can not do this. We need to...we need to leave. Now." Yumi's barely audible voice

"Stop it, Yumi. I get it, okay?" West half-yelled. "But we all agreed upon this. It's too late to back off now. And we have to make sure there are no remains. Our DNA needs to get burned because stupid Karan couldn't keep his hands to himself." He sent a glare towards Karan.

"Hey! I was making sure she was alive." Karan frowned. "And it's not like we had a choice."

Yumi broke into more tears. "We need to tell someone." No one spoke. Yumi nudged her roommate. "Aphrodite," she muttered desperately, "we could go to jai--" she paused when an all-to-familiar notification sound buzzed through our phones. Aphrodite groaned--feeling scared and exhausted at the same time.

Her heart thudded as if trying to break free while Aphrodite's hand reached for the phone inside my pocket. She took a sharp breath--the smell was so thick that she almost felt like she was tasting it. The odour was going to stick with her for a long time. And the sight was going to haunt their dreams.

Unlike the last time, this message was sent to all of them in the group chat. Their eyes widened as my eyes landed on text written in bold.

•••

YOUR SECRETS AREN'T GOING TO BE REVEALED ANY TIME SOON,

GOOD FOR YOU, THIS ISN'T YOUR DOOM.

BUT TO KEEP IT THAT WAY,

YOU HAVE TO CONTINUE TO PLAY.