09 | no in Hindi is nuh-hee

22ND OCTOBER

22ND OCTOBER.
ORION ACADEMY:
CAMPUS PATHWAY.

THE NEXT DAY rolled in before Yumi had time to catch up on her sleep. She couldn't sleep all night. There were two things in her mind--the hug and what if that boy saw her? Escaping him was easier than she speculated and although a part of her enjoyed it, she couldn't help but fret.

They were so close to getting caught. She can't do this. She promised her parents to be a disciplined kid and only work towards becoming a successful physician but being a part of a secret society was asking her to break the promise. Her parents had warned her that if she stepped a toe out of her line, they'll force her to return and be homeschooled for the rest of her life.

But she was two weeks in and had already broken a dozen rules. She needed to stay away from them but Aphrodite--staying away from her was difficult. There was something about her that Yumi couldn't stop admiring. She liked her presence. She reminded Yumi of someone she wished hadn't left her. She liked being with her. Aphrodite made her feel safe--like everything will be all right.

Will it, though?

Yumi's trail of thoughts was cut short when she bumped into a couple of students on her way to her first lecture. She lowered her head and apologized. The students she had bummed to huffed and pushed her out of their way. She sighed and turned around to watch them walk away--controlling her urge to punch their jaw. She bawled her fist but her fast heartbeat quickly relaxed when her eyes caught someone else.

The girl from her musings--Aphrodite stuffed a couple of loose papers in her small backpack and slipped out of the crowded pathway leading to the Grand Quarters and seemed to be headed in the opposite direction; towards the Main Gate. She tucked her blonde hair behind her ears ten times as she sprinted. Her eyes were travelling around, making sure no one was watching her but Yumi was. Aphrodite was frantic and before Yumi could even consider following her, she was out of sight.

Yumi furrowed her eyebrows.

"What are you waiting for?" Karan appeared in front of her out of nowhere. She flinched and met his eyes. His smooth tan skin gleamed under the blazing sunlight--almost making her jealous of her own pale, porcelain one.

"Ah, nothing. Was waiting for you," she lied. Karan grinned.

"Oh, that's nice. Well, I'm here. Let's go." He turned and walked into the Grand Quarters. The number of students tripled in amount as they climbed the first floor. Despite the large hallways and minimum availability of seats for students in Orion Academy, there seemed to be more people here than in her own town. Yumi followed Karan closely so as to not get lost in this ocean of harmonal raged teens functioning on caffeine.

Aphrodite was still on her mind but she tried to focus on the bright side--she had another friend who chose to sit with her in the class. It warmed her heart.