03 | break a leg and a law

OCTOBER 17TH

OCTOBER 17TH.
LUNA MARCH'S HOUSE:
UNDERGROUND BASEMENT

"WHAT THE HELL?" Yumi spat. "Breaking in was a different thing. Now, we have to steal too? I'm done with this!" Yumi spun on her heel and passed the threshold into another room having the long stairs that led her out of this basement. She shuddered at the darkness surrounding her fragile body. The temperature seemed to have dropped down.

She looked over her shoulders, wondering if anyone was following her. Much to her disappointment, she was alone. The only thing that trailed behind her was the light finding its way in the total darkness. A whisper echoed from the basement. It felt like a whole new world here as she climbed a couple of steps.

A sigh left her mouth. With a heavy heart-half-expecting Aphrodite to catch up to her-she climbed the remaining stairs. Her hand found the door. She stroked the cold metal surface to find a latch but after finding nothing but touch patterns, she used all her strength to shove the door-which Karan had closed on his way down-only to realise that it had no latch. Meaning, it was a one-way door.

Oh, dang.

"We're locked in here." She stomped back to the room-a mix of frustration and fatigue lacing her whispery voice. She held her head in her hand as her eyelids began to feel heavy.

"I don't think we have any other option but to steal. Yay," Lex said. Even when Yumi wasn't watching him, she knew that he was faking his enthusiasm. At least she wasn't the only one who opposed the idea of stealing and the criminal secret society that they were forced to be a part of. She had come a far way from who she used to be. She can't have a relapse again.

Yumi looked up to find Lex glancing at West with an unreadable look. West shrugged his narrow shoulders before he raised his hands in surrender. "Don't look at me like that," He said to Lex. "I played GTA. I didn't live in it!"

Karan's eyes lit up. "You played, too? Bro, I love that game. I haven't played any video games in a while." Karan said. "Hey, we should all play together sometime, like a gro-"

"Dude!" West half-yelled. "Read the room."

Thank you, West.

"Sorry. Just tryna lighten up the mood."

"Not helping," Yumi huffed and peered at Aphrodite who was not taking her eyes off of the far end of the wall. "Why are you so quiet? Is something going on in your head?"

Aphrodite snapped her head to Yumi and nodded. She strode towards the wall she was gaping at. "This wall looks a little...off. I wonder if..." Aphrodite nudged the wall. With low guttural noise, it opened like a door with ease.