1.Consequence

Have you ever been in a moment that you know is going to be life changing and wish you could freeze time and rewind so you could fix it all? This would be my current situation. I wasn't supposed to be out this late, I wasn't supposed to be with my friends, and most importantly I wasn't supposed to be using magic outside of school. Unfortunately for me I was doing all of that and getting caught while doing so.
"Elizabeth Fletcher," I hear my father's rough voice call my name and I see his furious face contort in ways I never imagined. "Get home. Now!" He yells at my friends as they scramble for their belongings.
I feel my hands shake as he quickly walks towards me, grabbing my wand and my arm. "How did you know I'd be here?" The question escapes my stupid mouth before I can stop myself.
"What the hell does that matter? You were to be at home with your brother! Don't you care about him at all?" His words pierce my heart. Of course I care about him. He's the only one who cares about me.
As he drags me from the tunnel where my friends and I usually hang out, I feel his grip tighten. Looking to my left, I understand why. Ryan stands there smirking at me, apparently finding us getting caught somewhat amusing. I roll my eyes at him and Dad apparates us home.
Dad finally let's go of my arm and we go inside the house, completely silent. Dylan, my brother is sitting at the dining room table with Mom and my new baby sister. Amelia coos when she sees me so I go to hold her. Mom gives me a look like I'm a criminal and holds onto her a little tighter.
I scoff at Mom and take a seat at the table. Dylan looks at me with guilty eyes and then quickly looks down at his hands.
Dad sits at the last seat nervously playing with his wedding ring. "This is very serious, Ellie," he says in a somber tone. Ellie. He hasn't called me Ellie in a long time. "Ilvermorny doesn't want to expel you but the Magical Congress does." Dad looks over at Mom and I feel my heart sink to my feet. Dad works for Magical Congress. What the hell was I thinking?
"Dad I'm so sorry! Are you in trouble?" I reach for his hand but he pulls it away.
"Thankfully no. Since it was just a floating charm they were forgiving. This time," he shoots at me.
"Dad I swear I wasn't going to do it. Ryan kinda made me," I admit. He's in for a punch right to his throat.
"You're entirely too strong willed for me to believe that. Although it is Ryan." Dad gets up and starts pacing. "I'm supposed to be leaving for a big job in London next month. I've decided I'm pulling you out of Ilvermorny and I'm bringing you with me."
"WHAT? Dad you can't!"
But over my protests he persists, "you can finish your fourth year at their local school." He looks me in the eyes and I go silent. "This is not up for debate Elizabeth. You're coming." End of discussion I assume since he and mom both silently stalk off to their room.

After a few hours, Dylan comes knocking on my door. The lights are off and the comforter is over my head. I hear him clear his voice. "Ellie? I'm really sorry."
"It's not your fault, Dyl. Even if you told Dad where I was." I shift under my comforter and poke my head out. "You'll be okay without me, right?"
Dylan shifts his feet and puts on a brave face, giving me a thumbs up. I forget sometimes how young he is. He hasn't even started magic schooling yet. I give him a thumbs up too and he closes my door on the way out.

A month has gone by and all of my things have been packed away. All my friends have said goodbye. All of my school things stay where they are. I guess I'm not a Thunderbird anymore. I hear a light knock on my door and turn to see my mom. She gives me a sympathetic smile. "Ready to go my girl?"
I look at her emotionless and nod. Before I can walk away from her she catches my arm lightly. "I love you more than you'll ever realize. It kills me to do this, you must know that," she sniffs. When I say nothing she lets me go. I lightly rub my hand on hers and then carry my bags downstairs.
At the airport, Dylan hugs me for the longest time. I whisper to him that I left some sweet treats he can sneak from my desk drawer and he squeezes even tighter. I kiss Amelia's beautiful face, hug Mom, and head for the gate without looking back. Dad and I have clearance to skip security so I just leave him with Mom and try to find somewhere to eat on my own. Deciding I can't find anything better than a chicken tender place, I sit down and take out an information packet about the new school I'll be going to. Hogwarts? What a stupid name. Of course I've heard of it since the Minister of Magic (Dad's new boss) went there with Harry Potter. Everyone knows Harry Potter.
"What house do you think you'll be in there?" Dad's voice comes from behind me. Of course he found me.
"I don't care I'll always be a Thunderbird," I reply unemotionally.
Dad sighs and goes up to order us some chicken with his muggle money. I flip through the information on the houses and find myself stopping at Slytherin.
  Slytherin. Ambitious, strong leaders, cunning. Yeah that sounds about right.
"Slytherin? Why would you want to be in that one?" Dad slides my lunch over to me and I take a bite, smirking at him. "What?"
"You're so predictable," I sneer as I take another bite.
"And what's that mean?" He looks a little hurt. Good he deserves that.
"It means that I could have been looking at any one of these other houses and you still would have given me shit for it," I explain. He shakes his head and looks away. "You're not responding because you know it's true. It's fine. I know where our relationship is at, Dad." We sit in silence afterwords.

The plane ride was unbelievably long. When we finally land in London and get our bags then we find somewhere safe enough to apparate to the cottage we're staying at while we're here.
Once we're all settled in I quickly eat dinner and go to my room. We're leaving for my new school tomorrow so I don't even bother unpacking. All I have the energy for is plopping into bed and crying for a minute before composing myself and going to sleep.