42. Secret Sides

-Sky-

-Sky-

Friday was arriving surprisingly fast, after all. The past couple of days were filled with tension, mostly between Troy and Luke. It was actually quite interesting to watch those two, how they behaved around each other. It was kind of like watching two animals interacting with each other, except Troy and Luke could speak.

On Wednesday, I didn't see Luke around, until it was time for their football practice. He showed up looking just like he had in the morning: really sick. And he was ignoring Troy and Max – even I noticed that. He treated them both like air. It didn't make any sense to me. If he liked Troy, why didn't he even try talking to him? And why was Max getting the same treatment?

What I could tell, the practice didn't go so well, mainly because Luke kept making mistakes, stumbling on his own feet and at some point, I thought I saw him limping, but when I tried to look closely, he was walking just fine. I wasn't sure what was going on, but it was obvious he wasn't well. Their coach was furious, but Luke didn't explain anything to him. He was obviously too stubborn to admit he was sick, and no one else was stupid enough to say a word.

Things seemed a little better on Thursday. Luke looked a lot better, but he wasn't hanging out with us. He wasn't ignoring us exactly, but he didn't stay to chat with us either if our paths crossed. It was safe to say his behavior was confusing Troy. He wasn't even sure if they still had a date on Friday.

I felt bad for him. I had the feeling Troy was looking forward to their date, but Luke seemed like he couldn't care less, and I was sure that if I had noticed it, so had he.

But, it turned out that I had been completely wrong.

We had a free period later that day, and Coach Perry wanted to see Troy and Max among other teammates. I decided to wait for them in the library since they were just going to talk about strategies and stuff.

To pass the time, I chose to read a book about sea life. The book was old, a lot older than me, and I hadn't read yet, but soon enough I found out it had a lot of mistakes – I wasn't surprised, because we had learned a lot of new things about nature in the past two decades, but I was disappointed our school still had it in their collection. I was among the very few in our school who knew the facts were inaccurate, but almost everyone else would use that book in their studies without knowing it had mistakes.

I stood up and pressed the book against my chest, and made my way to the librarian, who was sitting behind her desk and talking to another student. I was so deep in my thoughts, thinking about all the mistakes I wanted to point out to the librarian, so it took me around ten steps to vaguely notice that the guy was wearing the football team's jersey. I was ashamed to admit that it took me even longer in my absentmindedness to realize it was Luke.

I stopped to a halt before he could see me. It was actually weird to see Luke in a library. I assumed he needed something for school work, but it became clear to me I had no idea who that big jock in front of me really was. I had missed the beginning of their conversation, but what I heard was enough to convince me that Luke was definitely someone I wanted to know better.