ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTEEN

UNDERSTANDING
Take care of yourself.

"The legacy of that shield is," Sam paused hesitantly. "Complicated, to say the least."

Bucky held the shield in his arms and it felt like he had his family back with him again. It was almost as if Steve was by his side. He let go of a deep breath, wrapping his arm around Odessa, who had left the couch to be with him before saying,

"When Steve told me what he was planning, I don't think we understood what it felt like for a Black man to be handed the shield." Bucky paused. "How could we? I owe you an apology." He handed back the shield, causing Odessa to smile. They men had come along way since they first met. "I'm sorry."

"Thank you." Sam whispered, taking the shield and allowing his eyes to flicker over to Odessa.

The brunette looked much better than before. The colour had come back to her cheeks, her body didn't look as frail. But he did notice the way she clung to Bucky's side.

"Whatever happened with Walker, it wasn't your fault." Bucky continued, noticing the way his girlfriend tensed at his name. He pressed his lips against her temple before continuing, "I get it, it's just, that shields the closest thing I've got left to a family, so when you retired it, it made me feel like I had nothing left."

The man looked down at Odessa almost guilty. He pulled Steve's book from his back pocket, holding it up before saying,

"It made me question everything. You, Steve, Dessie, Me. You know, I've got his, I've got his book." He ran his tongue over his bottom lip. "And uh, I just figured if it worked for him, then it'd work for me."

"I understand, man." Sam spoke. "But Steve is gone. And this might be a surprise, but it doesn't matter what Steve thought."

Odessa linked her hand with Bucky's, her thumb running over his knuckles before giving his hand a light squeeze, to silently tell him that she wasn't going to go anywhere.

Sam threw the shield, making it bounce off the tree before catching it once again. Odessa smiled proudly, he'd come so far, she knew that Steve would be proud, just like she is.

"You gotta stop looking to other people to tell you who you are." Sam continued, throwing his shield, only for his time, Odessa to catch it.

Both boys took a moment to look at the girl. The herbs were working, that much was obvious. She was a super soldier now, with no more complications, no pain. Just all the strength, reflexes and power that came along with it.

"Let me ask you, you still having those nightmares?"

Odessa looked towards Bucky, wondering if he was actually going to tell Sam or if he was going to keep it secret. Subconsciously, Bucky stepped closer to Odessa before saying,

"All the time." He rested his head on top of hers, his vibranium arm wrapping around her waist and allowing her finger to interlink with his. "It means I remember. It means a part of me is still there. Which means a part of the Winter Soldiers still in me."

Bucky grabbed the shield from Odessa and tossed it, it bounced back off of the tree and allowed Sam to catch it. The girl looked up to Bucky, offering him a synaptic smile, if the winter soldier was still in him, they would deal with that, together.

"You up for a little tough love?" Sam questioned the man. "You want to climb out of the hell you're in, do the work. Do it."

"I've been making amends." Bucky reminded the man.

"Nah, you weren't amending, you were avenging." Sam tutted.

"He was doing his best." Odessa snapped protectively. She never agreed with Dr Raynor's idea on making an amends, but still she supported Bucky and stayed by his side through it all.

"I appreciate that." Sam turned to look at Odessa. "But you we're stopping all the wrongdoers you enabled as the Winter Soldier. Because you thought it would bring you closure. You go to these people and say 'sorry' because you think it'll make you feel better, right? But you gotta make them feel better. You gotta go to them and be of service. I'm sure there's at least one person in that book who needs closure about something, and you're the only one who can give it to 'em."

Odessa looked up to Bucky, thinking about Yori. Bucky had told her about how he killed his son, but Yori was unaware.

"Probably a dozen." Bucky responded sarcastically.

"How about we just start with one?" Odessa raised her brow questioningly as she tilted her head back to look into the boys blue eyes.

Bucky rested his forehead against hers for a moment, a smile forming on her face as he gently pressed his lips against the tip of her nose before looking back up to Sam.

"Good talk." Bucky uttered, stepping forward to clasp his hand against Sam's.

"You know Karli won't quit." Sam uttered.

"Call me when you have a lead, and we'll be there." Bucky looked back towards Odessa. "Not necessarily as a team." The dark haired man grabbed his backpack and loosely swung it over his shoulders before grabbing Odessa's hand.

Odessa motioned for her siblings to come along, since they were sat on the porch watching the pair carefully. She would have to either drop them off back at the Forest's or take them with her and Bucky.

"Nope." Sam responded.

"We're not that good." Odessa taunted playfully.

"Definitely not." Chuckled Sam.

"We're professionals." Bucky added on, smiling at Odessa's siblings who ran beside them. "And uh, partners."

Sam clicked before pointing at Bucky and saying,

"Co-workers."

"But we're also a couple of guys with a mutual friend." Bucky continued, his thumb running along Odessa's knuckles.

Odessa chuckled at the pair, they were so childish. She knew they cared deeply for one another, otherwise they wouldn't be having this conversation. She just found it hilarious.

"Friends now gone." Sam added pestimistdically.

"So we're a couple of guys." Bucky tapped Sam's chest.

"I can live with that." Sam nodded in agreement. "Thanks for the help man. Meant a lot."

"Ofcourse." Bucky tapped Sam's bicep before walking away.

Odessa hesitated for a moment, wanting to say bye to Sam for herself. She understood that Bucky didn't want to wait around, she knew that if he did, he'd want to stay longer because truthfully, he'd found comfort in being there.

"I'll see you soon, Sammy." Odessa wrapped her arms around the boy, squeezing him tightly.

"Take care of yourself." Sam whispered, hugging the girl back. "Take care of him." He motioned over to Bucky.

"Yes sir." Odessa pulled away and playfully saluted. "Call if you need anything."