FORTY FIVE

CHOICES
I can give you two choices.

Odessa stood beside Bucky as the doctor wrapped his hand up in a bandage. She hadn't left his side since they arrived in Wakanda.

Bucky's eyes flickered over to the cryo chamber. He had announced that it was probably the best idea for him to go back into cryo until they were able to help him.

"You sure about this?" Steve questioned, watching as Bucky placed his hand on Odessa's waist and rested his chin on her shoulder.

"I can't trust my own mind." He whispered sadly, but plastered a small smile on his face, trying to fool the two most important people in his life into believing that he was okay. "So, until they figure out how to get this stuff out of my head I think going back under is the best thing," He paused looking towards Odessa. "for everybody."

The last thing that Bucky wanted was for him to hurt her in any way. He loved the girl with everything in him. He couldn't hurt her.

Odessa teared up and turned to face the man, Steve stepped back and decided to give the two a minute to say their goodbyes.

"I love you." Odessa whispered as she rested her head against Bucky's, her hands cupped his cheeks. She didn't know what to say. Nothing seemed to be good enough.

"I love you too, Cherry." He whispered back, his hand snaking around her waist and pulling her closer. "I don't know how long I'm going to be under." Bucky paused hesitantly. "But I don't want you to wait for me."

As much as he loved the girl, he didn't want her to put her whole life on hold for him.

"I'd wait forever and a day for you, Sarge." She whispered back. "It's just me and you."

"Until the end of the line." Bucky nodded, his heart ached at the thought of not seeing the girl again. He pulled himself back to look at her for one last time. The way that her hair fell so perfectly in front of her brown eyes. Her lips curled up into a smile, trying to show that she was okay, despite the fact that she wasn't in the slightest.

He pressed his lips against hers, tasting the familiar taste of her cherry lip balm mixed with the salty tears that rolled down her cheeks.

Bucky brought his hand up to cup the girls cheek, wiping the tears away as their lips moulded perfectly together. He never wanted to pull away from her. He wished they could have just stayed in Romania, where they were happy.

Reluctantly, Odessa pulled away, tears rolling down her cheeks as she watched Bucky turn to face Steve.

"Look after my girl, Rogers." He pointed towards the man, who saluted in response.

Steve would do anything to keep Bucky happy. He was his family. And Odessa was Bucky's, which made her his too. Steve would do anything for his family, to protect them.

Odessa stepped aside and watched as Bucky made his way into the cryo chamber. He closed his eyes and a faint hissing was heard. Steve pulled the girl into his chest and allowed her to sob.

"You'll see him again." Steve whispered, although in reality, neither of them knew if they would ever see Bucky Barnes again.

~

Steve and Odessa stood staring out of a window. He offered the girl a sympathetic smile. Her eyes were bloodshot and her cheeks were tear stained. He couldn't ever imagine what she was going through.

"Thank you for this." Steve said as T'Challa stood beside the pair.

"Your friend and my father, they were both victims. If I can help one of them find peace-" T'Challa trialled off, he would do everything that he could in order to help Bucky.

"You know, If they find out he's here," Steve looked down at the girl hesitantly before saying, "they'll come for him."

"Let them try." T'Challa responded.

Steve turned to face Odessa, Bucky wanted him to protect her. So that is exactly what he was going to do.

"I can give you two choices." Steve spoke up. Odessa looked up to the man and nodded, waiting for her options. "I can take you with me into hiding. You'll be with Wanda, Sam, Natasha and myself."

Steve allowed his eyes to scan the girls face for any sought of interest but she was blank.

"Or you can stay here with Bucky and I will visit as often as I can."

Odessa nodded, she wouldn't mind been with Steve, she would find out all the stories of Bucky's childhood that he hadn't told her or that he had forgotten. But on the other hand, she couldn't leave the love of her life.

"I'm sorry, I can't leave him." She responded.

Steve nodded understandingly. He opened his arms for the girl, pulling her into a long hug.

"He'll be okay." He assured the girl, although it hurt him to think of the worst happening to Bucky. It hurt him to think that he could never see his best friend again.

"I'll see you soon right?" Odessa questioned, she didn't know anyone in Wakanda, only T'Challa and he tried to kill Bucky, so their relationship wasn't off to the best start.

"Every chance I get. I promised your boyfriend I'd look after you."

At those simple words a grin formed on Odessa's face. Although her and Bucky hadn't ever asked one another to be officially boyfriend and girlfriend, it felt right hearing someone say it.

"I'll see you soon, Steven." Odessa muttered softly.

Odessa took a step back, her eyes flickering over to Bucky as she watched Steve walk away, not knowing when she would next see either of them. She let out a small sigh, knowing that the worst goodbyes are those where you don't know if you'll see them again.