EIGHTY NINE

WEAKNESS
I want the thief.

The four were all lead through a number of different hallways until they arrived at the room with Selby. Odessa allowed her eyes to flicker over the woman, she had blonde short hair and was sat in what seemed to be a robe.

"You should know, Baron." Selby spoke up once they arrived. "People don't just come into my bar and make demands."

"Not a demand. An offer." Zemo announced as he sat down on the couch opposite Selby.

Selby's eyes flickered up to Odessa almost skeptically. She recognised her but she couldn't quite put her finger on it. Odessa linked her hand with Sam's, causing him to take a protective step in front of her. He could tell that something had just made her feel on edge and he instantly wanted to protect her.

"A lot had changed since you were here last." Selby said as she caught a glimpse at Bucky. "By the way, I thought you were rotting away in a German prison. How did you escape?"

"People like us always find a way, don't we?" Zemo shrugged, looking at the woman with a smirk playing on his face. "I'm sure you've already figured out what I'm here for."

Odessa looked across to Bucky, she desperately want to be beside him. After all, he looked like he needed her comfort. But he kept his eyes focused on Selby. He knew that even he even so much took a quick glimpse at the girl, he would crack and rush over to her.

"You're taller than I'd heard, Smiling Tiger." Selby pointed towards Sam. She looked over to him before purring. "And you, come sit." She pointed to Odessa before patting the spot on the couch next to her.

Nervously, Odessa looked to Zemo, who nodded in return. She pulled away from Sam and went to sit beside Selby. Bucky went to step forward to pull Odessa away from the woman, but Selby turned to look at him. Things were slowly beginning to piece themselves together.

"What's the offer?" Selby questioned curiously.

"Tell us what you know about the Super Soldier serum." Zemo requested standing up and walking towards Bucky. "And I give you him. Along with the code words to control him, of course." Zemo ran his hands along Bucky's face. "He will do anything you want."

Selby seemed interested in the offer, which only panicked Odessa more. She knew that this was the plan. But she still didn't like it.

"Now, that's the Zemo I remember. I'm glad I decided not to kill you immediately." Selby smiled, her arm wrapping around Odessa and playing with the ends of her hair.

The brunette let out shaky breath but tried her hardest to remain calm and not say or do anything.

Selby's eyes flickered to the dog tags that dangled down Odessa's neck. That was when she knew for certain who she was. 

"Yeah, you were right to come to me." Selby nodded. "Arrogant, but right. But before I tell you anything, I want something else."

Zemo nodded and motioned for her to continue. Selby turned to Odessa, her hand squishing her cheeks together, making her lips purse.

Bucky went to step forward, to pull Selby off of Odessa, but Zemo shot him a warning look.

"I want the thief." She whispered into Odessa's ear, causing the brunette to tense at the words. "I mean, she's the one The Winter Soldier has a weak spot for. I can't have them separated. What if he fell out of line? If need a way to punish him. They were a thing in HYDRA, correct?"

Odessa furrowed her brows, she had no clue how Selby knew about her or the fact that she and Bucky had something back in HYDRA. But she knew.

"It was smart of you to disguise her as the Smiling Tigers partner. But this girl was all over the news. On more the one occasion." Selby smirked. "I want her and The Winter Soldier, then I'll tell you."

"Deal." Odessa muttered through her squished cheeks, causing Selby to let go of her. "I'll stay, just tell them what you know."

Odessa pulled herself away from Selby and went to stand beside Bucky. He placed his hand on her waist and instantly pulled her behind him.

The girl could feel her heart racing, she rested her head in the crook of Bucky's back. She clung into his jacket tightly and let out a few shaky breaths.

"See, they love each other. Good disguise though." Selby praised, looking over to Bucky and Odessa. "The Super Soldier serum is here in Madripoor. Dr Wilfred Nagel is the man you wanna thank." She paused. "Or condemn, depending on what side of this you're on."

Odessa linked her hand with Bucky's, causing him to lightly squeeze it. He turned to look at her, she looked terrified and he hated it. His hand cupped her face, his thumb running along her cheek.

"The Power Broker had him working on the serum, but things didn't go as planned." Selby continued.

"Is Nagel still in Madripoor?" Zemo questioned, glancing over to Bucky and Odessa. He had no clue what she was in HYDRA with him. He just thought that she was someone who he shared a connection with from Romania.

"Oh, the bread crumbs you can have for free, but the bakery is gonna cost you, Baron." Selby said standing up. "And before you get all cute, don't think you can find Nagel without me."

Odessa looked at Bucky through her lashes, causing him to press his lips against her forehead. He didn't care if he was too much like Bucky and not enough like The Winter Soldier. The girl he loved was clearly nervous and he would break every act and spill every secret if it meant he could to help comfort and protect her.