SEVENTY EIGHT

ARREST
I know my rights.

"Sam." Bucky called as they walked down the steps of Isaiah's front porch. It was obvious that Sam was upset with Bucky's choice of hiding Isaiah from him and the world.

"Why didn't you tell me about Isaiah?" Sam questioned snappily. "How could nobody bring him up?"

The three fell into silence as they walked up the street, which only seemed to anger Sam further. Odessa looked between the boy with innocent eyes, causing Bucky to offer her a small smile.

"I asked you a question, Bucky." Sam repeated a little bit more sternly. There was no sense of humour or lightheartedness in his voice, he was actually angry.

"I know." Bucky sighed.

"Steve didn't know about him?" Sam questioned, raising his voice as he did so.

"He didn't. I didn't tell him. I only told Dessie." Bucky motioned towards the girl, making her give him a bizarre look for now dragging her into this.

Odessa made her way to stand in between the two boys. Knowing perfectly well that they're both hot headed and bad tempered. But she didn't want this to escalate any further.

"You didn't tell me either?" Sam questioned snappily.

"It wasn't my story to tell." Odessa whispered softly, causing Sam to feel guilty for shouting at her. He never raised his voice at the girl and never intended to.

"So you're telling me that there was a black Super Soldier decades ago and nobody knew about it." Sam questioned pointing at Isaiah's house as they came to a stop.

Odessa glanced over to the police and the fact that they turned on their sirens, so she quickly let go of Bucky's hand and pulled Sam's down and linked their hands together.

Bucky gave the girl a confused look as to why she was no holding Sam's hand. She nodded at him to silently tell him that she still loved him and that there was a bigger reason. She felt Sam stiffen once he saw the cops climbed out of their car.

"Hey." One officer shouted, gaining their attention.

"What's up, man?" Sam question, holding his head up high as he spoke.

"Is there a problem here?" The officer questioned.

"No, we're just talking." Sam motioned to Bucky. He was angered that the police just pulled up for no reason. He hated when this happened to him.

Odessa stepped in front of Sam slightly. She knew why the officers had stopped and she hated it. It was wrong. She plastered a small smile on her face and sweetly saying,

"There's no problem here officer, we're just talking."

Bucky was slightly taken back with how sweet Odessa was. He rarely heard her talk in such a sweet innocent tone, especially to someone with authority.

"We're fine." Bucky said dismissively, hoping they would just leave the three alone. He didn't understand why they had stopped.

"Can I see your ID?" The officer questioned Sam, completely ignoring Bucky and Odessa.

"I don't have ID, why?" Sam questioned looking at the officers now circling him and Odessa.

He knew the second that she grabbed his hand that she knew they were going racially profile him. And he appreciated her attempting to help him.

"What crime do you suspect he has committed officer? I know my rights, he only has to show ID if he is suspected of a crime." Odessa paused. "You can't just demand to see someone's ID, sir."

"Okay, sir, ma'am, just calm down." The officer spoke, his hand resting on his gun as he did so.

Odessa didn't miss the way that people came out of their homes to watch the event unfold. But not one of them stepped in, she didn't know whether to be thankful or not. She didn't want to cause a scene.

"I am calm. What do you want? We're just standing here talking." Sam questioned, anger fuelling him.

"Just give him your ID so we can leave." Bucky advised as he looked between the officers and Sam. He had no idea why Sam was getting so angry.

"No. I'm not giving him shit. We're just talking." Sam shouted towards Bucky, and that was the first time that he noticed the officers hand on his gun.

Sam instantly pulled Odessa behind him, no way was the girl getting hurt trying to help him. He wouldn't let that happen.

"Hey. Hey. Is he bothering you ma'am?" The officer questioned.

"Bothering me? This man is my boyfriend." Odessa said as she placed her hand on Sam's chest.

Bucky didn't miss the way her eyes flickered towards him as she said the word 'boyfriend'. He loved the girl and everything about her. She instantly went by Sam's side once she saw the officers and did everything in her power to make the situation less hostile.

"Sir?" The officer turned to Bucky for confirmation.

"No, he's not bothering me. Do you know who this is?" Bucky questioned pointing at Sam.

"Hey, these guys are the Avengers." The other officer whispered.

Bucky took a step in front of both Sam and Odessa protectively. He didn't understand why the officers were being the way they were but like hell were they going to come and threaten Sam or Odessa.

"Oh, God, I am so sorry, Mr Wilson." The officer panicked once he realised. "I didn't recognise you without the goggles."  He nervously chuckled. "I'm really, really sorry about this."

Not even seconds later, another cop car showed up and Sam tensed up again. Bucky placed his hand out of Odessa to hold behind his back, which she gladly did. She gave his hand a light squeeze and rested her head between his shoulder blades.

"Guys, just wait here, okay?" The officer instructed walking away.

Sam let go of Odessa's hand and Bucky turned to face the man. Odessa instantly stepped back into Bucky's chest. His strong arms wrapped around her small waist.

"I didn't-I didn't tell anybody because he had already been through enough." Bucky explained.

"Mr Barnes," The officers walked back towards the three. "there's a warrant out for your arrest."

"Look, the president pardoned him for all that." Sam spoke up as he watched the small smile fall from Odessa's face.

Sam knew that nothing brought her as much safety as being held by Bucky and that broke his heart. He knew that the girl had been through enough.

"Not for that. You missed your court-mandated therapy." The officer continued. "It's like missing a check in with your PO. I'm sorry Mr Barnes, you're under arrest."

Odessa turned to look at the man panicked, he offered her a small reassuring smile. His hand gripped the back of her head and pulled her into his chest. He looked across to Sam and mouthed,

"Look after her." Sam nodded in response. He would do anything to keep her safe.

Bucky pressed his lips against Odessa's forehead before pulling away and going to get in the back of the cop car.