38

"Peter, we need to leave now. If we wait any longer we'll lose our advantage the scouts gave us"
   Nia glanced at the strategy map one last time as she finished packing her bag. The Narnians had gained the advantage of knowing where the Telamarines were advancing from and planned to hit them before they could reach the kingdom.
    "Do you think we're ready?" The high king glanced at the girl as he sheathed his sword. Nia briefly looked up and shrugged, "Guess we'll find out" she sighed and placed a kiss on his cheek as she left the room.
    Peter stood there for a while longer, leaning against the window he looked over his army of the undead. Running his hand through his hair he followed after Nia.
   "Who's ready for some warrrr?" Nia sang as she mounted her horse beside the high king and Enne.
    "How can you be so at ease when we're literally going to fight a war?" Edmund rolled his eyes as he helped Enne onto her horse.
    "Because, Dear Edmund, what's the worst that can happen? We die? Psh lame"
    "Something is deeply wrong with your friend" Ed said seriously, fixing Enne's bags.
     "Well, You are not wrong about that" Enne laughed and readjusted herself on the saddle.
     "Remember to stay near the back with the healers, we can't have you dying right after we finally get together" Ed half joked
    Enne smiled and held his jaw, "It'll be ok don't worry, things have a way of always working out for us,"
    "don't jinx it" Ed muttered, mounting his horse beside her, "Are you sure you don't want to stay back with Lucy and Susan?"
    "Yea, if I stay back I'd worry myself to death. I feel bad for Susan, I can't imagine how it feels to have your ex wage war on your kingdom."
    Ed sighed and rubbed his temples, "No one saw it coming.... well except Peter but he's a jackass."

   Nia and Peter rode up front after saying their 'goodbyes' and 'good lucks' to Edmund and Enne.
    Wordlessly Nia reached over and squeezed Peter's hand. They rode forward, eager to get this over with.

~

   Nia gave the signal for the army to stop, and dismounted the horse. Peter hopped off his and walked over.
    "We should walk from here. Leave the healers and our supplies here, and tell the others to set up camp. I'm going to scout ahead with a few of the archers and see how far we are from the Telamarines, if all goes well we'll attack at midnight."
    Peter grabbed her elbow as she was leaving, he placed his hand on her hip and  brought her in for a final kiss before things got messy. They pulled away breathlessly and Nia wrapped her arms around his neck before cupping his face. She opened her mouth to say something but settled on giving him a chaste kiss and leaving with the archers.
    Peter turned to the remaining soldiers and healers, "We set up camp here and wait for word from the scouts. At midnight we attack, Be ready." Around him soldiers nodded and muttered words of agreement. Even the head of the undead army nodded along.

      About an hour into the scouting, the team found the Telamarines resting in the forest. Their army was large, Beasts and soldiers who held grudges against the Narnians joined forces and Caspian and his uncle stood at the head of them. The feeling of  uncertainty grew in Nia as she exchanged glances with the team, turning they head back to their army. Compared to the Telamarines their army was small, but with the undead on their side they had a chance of winning. The scouts quietly turned back, stealthy running through the forest undetected.

     "There's more of them than we thought," Nia started as she returned, "We can still take them but we need to move now. Their guard is completely down they won't see it coming"
     "The soldiers aren't ready to immediately go into battle, They need rest." A commander said to the girl
   Nia rolled her eyes, "Are you fucking kid-
    "She's right," Peter stepped in, "The soldiers volunteered for this battle, they knew the risks. We need to maintain our advantage. Gather the undead and the soldiers that are willing, we move in ten."