18.

Peter and Nia stood in front of their soldiers thinking over battle strategies. It'd been a week since the Telmarine declared war on the kingdom and the alliance fell through.  Susan had been recovering as well as one could in her circumstances, Lucy and Enne by her side most of the days.

Nia sighed, walking out of the room as the meeting concluded late in the evening. The two had been spending most of their days prepping for war and training new soldiers.
"This is just great" the girl rolled her eyes, "They're already advancing across the sea, we're not going to have enough time to prepare our people. I mean at most we can hold them off at- Peter?"

The king had walked to his balcony overlooking the beach. He stood, body stiff and hands grasping the rails. Nia looked over at him from the bed, deciding he needed time alone, she let herself fall back in the bed. She was falling asleep when the king finally returned to the room, she yawned and turned towards him.

"you ok?" she mumbled out, even though they both knew the answer. Peter placed a kiss to the girls forehead and got into the bed. They both fell asleep knowing they have to repeat this cycle until the war comes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"What if we just make a bomb or something?" Nia groaned resting her face in her hands.
"Nia No." Enne muttered, "We defeated weird demon creatures, what makes this any different?"
"There's a difference between killing a monster and killing a human" Lucy quietly answered, earning concerned looks from everyone at the table.
"Your Majesties," A guard approached the royals, "you have a visitor"
"Oh great, another one" Edmund rolled his eyes.

The doors open to reveal a girl about the same age as Nia and Enne.
"Laurie?" Lucy asked as the girl walked in
"Lau!" Peter's eyes suddenly lit up. The Pevensie's all ran towards the girl in excitement.
Enne and Nia exchanged a look to make sure they weren't the only ones confused as fuck. Laurie and the others made their way back to the table.

"What are you doing back here?" Susan beamed at the visitor
"Well my father sent me for business purposes, to establish an alliance between our kingdoms" She nodded towards Peter, "But quite honestly I just wanted to see you guys again!"
"Laurie?" Enne asked Susan because none of them seemed to notice how confused and awkward the other two girls were being.
"Oh yea, Laurie this is Nia and Enne. Heroes of the prophecy"
Enne and Nia smiled awkwardly and waved slightly. "Hi it's nice to meet you" Enne said after an awkward silence passed. "Why do I not like this?" Nia whispered to Enne and Edmund.
"You're just jealous" Edmund whispered laughing slightly
"Am not!"
"Ok so it doesn't bother you that she's Peter's ex and they only broke up because she was supposed to be wed to another BUT that fell through and now she's single and here" Edmund watched as Nia's face morphed into a tight smile.

"No, I have no problem with that," Enne and Edmund exchanged a look as Nia eyed Peter's hand on Laurie's waist.
"This can't end well" Enne whispered to the dark haired boy, who nodded in agreement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nia went to today's meeting alone, "Just going to spend the day showing Lau around" Peter dismissed earlier. The girl smiled and nodded and went ahead to the meeting. Getting lost in thought the girl stayed late in the meeting, she was the last one in the room staring at the pieces on the table.

"Ennnee- ooh what do we have here?" Nia smirked walking into her friends room to see Edmund also there, the two playing chess on the floor.
"We're literally just playing chess,"
"I know, you guys are way too innocent" Nia rolled her eyes and sat on the floor. She rested her head on Enne's shoulders closing her eyes momentarily.
"Long day?" Enne asked
"We are in some deep shit with this war stuff"
"You sure it's not because Peter spent all day with Laurie and is probably still with her now?" Ed suggested

"Fuck off Ed We have bigger things to worry about" Nia said rolling her eyes as she got up to leave. Enne and Edmund looked at each other again, shrugging and going back to their game.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nia entered her room for the first time in what felt like years. The bed felt cold and empty compared to what she was used to. Sighing, she got ready for bed. Staring at the ceiling for a few moments she groaned burying her head in her pillows letting out a muffled scream. She flipped onto her back again, frowning, Guess Edmund was right, but the war shit is pretty bad too.
That night was filled with restless sleep for the girl, constantly waking up throughout the night. It seemed as though her mind replayed every horrible moment in her life before she finally drifted off into a dreamless sleep.