19.

Nia walked into the dining hall late in the afternoon as the others ate lunch.
    "where have you been?" Enne asked looking at the girl concerned.
   "Asleep, I'm taking the day off so I don't throw myself off a cliff" the girl replied casually. Everyone at the table stared for a
moment, except Enne who nodded "Felt that" and handed her friend a sandwich. Nia took the food and turned to leave.

     Peter suddenly caught up to her as she was exiting, "You missed the meeting this
morning,"
     "yea that's what a day off means"
     "oh- uh are you ok?" Peter asked confused at his friend's cold demeanour.
    Nia sighed wanting to finish this conversations she can go back to her bed and pretend she doesn't exist. "Yea Im fucking peachy" rolling her eyes and speeding up.
She knew she would have to figure shit out eventually, but for now she was fine with just icing everyone out.

      A few hours passed, the girl remained in bed - no thoughts head empty style. A knock on her door dragged her out of her bed.
    "Hey" Peter stood at the door
    "What do you want" Nia rolled her eyes and plopped back onto her bed, aggravated by the disturbance.
      "thought you'd want an update-
      "Dude Im on a day off, don't come to me about work shit"
       "Ok," He paused looking over at his
friend. He walked over to the side
of the bed, tapping the side of her head to get her attention "What's up with you?"
     "I don't know" Nia mumbled into her pillow
     Peter nudged her over and got in the bed beside her
    "What the fuck are you doing?" Nia groaned as she was shoved over.
    "Making up for lost time" Nia turned to him confused, "You didn't come to bed last night" Peter explained
      "Thought you were busy" Nia said looking away, "it was only one night calm down" she smiled slightly
     "still unacceptable" Peter laughed wrapping his arms around her. Nia pushed him lightly, "you still have work to do"
    "I'm on a day off too" the king said not moving. "We both can't be on a day off" the girl rolled her eyes and pushed him again.
    "Fine" Peter got up, "I'll see you tonight,"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    A week had gone by since that interaction. The pair didn't end up talking because of conflicting schedules. Peter was constantly occupied with Laurie and the alliance, and Nia had taken up the burden of the war strategies, occasionally aided by Edmund and Enne.
   Nia was fuming, Peter hadn't been to a single meeting despite the alliance being settled.
"Where the fuck is Peter?" The girl asked the boys siblings,
    "He's with Laurie in his room I think?" Susan replied
    "What happened?" Lucy asked looking slightly fearful of Nia
    "That dipshit of a king hasn't been doing anything to help with the war" Nia was trying to contain her anger. The others remained quiet, Enne shook her head, "that's a jerk move, go get him"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Peter you no good son of a bi- The girl was cut off when she walked in on the king and his visitor kissing. She paused for a moment, but quickly recovered.
    "You no good son of a bitch! I have spent WEEKS planning for this stupid war while you're over here acting like a horny fucking teenager!" Nia ignored the pit in her stomach and the disappointment slowly gnawing at her.

     She stopped for a moment. "You know what, I'm done" The girl calmly threw her hands up and left. "This isn't my problem" she called as she walked away. Again she paused, and turned around, "Ok I'm not done, I'm not going to let our people die because I'm not a horrible human being, But I'm not going to be happy about it and I sure as hell don't need you to help at this point" She glared as Peter opened his mouth to say something, but quickly closed it. "I'm about five seconds from beating your ass right here so think before you say anything"

     "I'm sorry" was all the king mustered up, Nia looked at him in disbelief, "you are a joke." She shook her head and left.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     The table fell silent as Peter and Laurie approached for dinner.
   Ed and Enne glared at the boy, "I'm guessing Nia told you what happened?" the king asked ashamed.

    "I can't believe you dumped your responsibilities on her" Susan said shaking her head,
     "I can go talk to her?" Laurie offered, "can't help but feel like this is my fault" The girl looked genuinely upset at all this.
    "No I don't think that's a good idea" Lucy chimed in, she turned to her oldest brother expectantly. Peter sighed, "yea I'm on it"

    "Don't feel bad" Enne said turning to Laurie, "Nia's just very stressed right now and she can get a tab bit..aggressive"
    Laurie nodded, "I get that, my brother used to be like that too. Especially if she was forced to take on responsibilities that weren't hers to deal with, I'd be mad too"
   "Your brother?"
   "Yea he passed away a few weeks ago, he was a lot like Nia"
     Enne smiled, "I think once she calms down you two will get along just fine"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Nia open the door I know you're in there" Peter tried the locked door once more.
    "Fuck off I can and will physically kill you right now"
   "Please let me explain everything" The king heard the door unlock. Opening the door successfully this time, he walked in to see Nia sitting on her bed facing the balcony.

     "I'm sorry, for everything. I've known Lau for years. When I heard her brother died I wanted to make sure she was doing ok,"
    Nia instantly felt like a dick. "Oh," was all the girl could manage.

   "The kiss was because she got caught up in the moment. We were reminiscing on the old days but I promise that is all it was, everything I felt for her is history" The king held Nia's chin, turning her head to face him. The girl still couldn't look him in the eyes, how does one recover from this much embarrassment. She can admit now that she was probably overreacting due to stress and jealousy.

     "Well now I feel like a dick" She laughed slightly pushing Peter's hand away. The boy pulled her towards him in a hug. Resting his head on top of hers he laughed, "You were right though, it isn't your job to be managing all these things"
     "Ok but you were comforting a friend, I should've just talked to you beforehand"
    "Enough of this now, We good?" He asked pulling back slightly to look at her.
    Nia grinned "Yea, wow look at us. Go off conflict resolution skills"
   Peter looked at the girl laughing at her own joke. He smiled softly at her, without thinking he cupped her face. Nia's laughed faded down to a smile as she gazed back at him.

    "What do I have something on my face?" She asked sarcastically

   Peter rolled his eyes, "Yea let me get that for you" he responded, before he leaned in and kissed her.