"Had enough, fag?" the leader of them laughed. "Don't cry, I'm sure that the all mighty Luke will make the booboo go away," they taunted.

I didn't move. I just stared at the sand under me. I heard them walking right next to me. One of them kicked my leg.

"Are you still alive, fag?" he laughed.

They were standing between me and the river. It was my chance to escape! I scooped a lot of sand with both of my hands, pushed myself up, and threw it all towards their eyes before they could even notice I was biting back.

I didn't stay there and see if my plan had worked. I got up on my feet and ran away from them as fast as I could. I heard them screaming and yelling in their fury, but none of them followed me right away, so I figured they were too busy washing the sand out of their eyes.

My heart was racing faster than ever, my ankle was hurting more, and my breathing was raspy from being almost drowned. I still kept running without looking back, knowing that I would get beaten up, or worse, if they caught up with me.

Too soon, I heard them following me, and I decided to run away from the school and hide somewhere. I hoped they would think I was returning to get my stuff. So, I ran in a different direction.

I could hear their angered yells close by. Too close.

-Max-

-Max-

Troy still wasn't talking to me, so I didn't even try. I almost had managed to patch things up between us, but then I said he had to admit that Luke was looking for trouble. Troy got pissed about that, and I had no idea why. We were all friends, right?

I pushed them both out of my head when I took a quick shower and dressed up. Then, I took my bag and headed out without even looking at Troy, who was still giving me attitude. Once I was standing outside, I couldn't see Sky at the bleachers.

"Did you find a butterfly?" I chuckled happily and started walking around the building.

He was probably following an animal or insect. I wasn't worried until I saw his bag and his crutches lying on the ground near the tall hedge.

"Sky?" I called him and jogged to his belongings. "Where are you hiding?"

I stood there for a moment, listening to the sounds around me, but I couldn't hear him anywhere. I still wasn't too anxious, but I was getting worried. He shouldn't be walking around without his crutches yet.

Then I heard a faint meow somewhere at my feet, and I crouched to see a cardboard box hidden between the branches. I saw a wounded cat with three or four kittens with her.

That was the moment when I realized something bad had happened to Sky. He would never have abandoned a wounded animal.

"Sky!" I yelled at the top of my lungs and turned to look around, almost panicking. "SKY!"