28. Retaliation

-Sky-

-Sky-

"Max! Help!" I yelled, but one of the guys hit me in the stomach, clearing all the air out of my lungs.

"Shut up, bitch!" the guy hissed at me.

I saw stars. It took me a moment to recover from his hit, and when I did, I saw we were already on the other side of the road. I was about to scream again, but they noticed it. One of them clasped their hand over my mouth. I couldn't see anyone around, and just a moment later, the forest hid us from view.

I had never been so scared in my life. My stomach was hurting from the hit, and the guy who kept his hand on my mouth was squeezing my jaw so tightly I feared for my teeth. They took me deeper into the forest and soon I realized they were taking me to the river – I could already hear its roar.

"Luke thinks he's the king of the school," one of them said. "We'll show him..."

The other two laughed evilly. I tried to fight back, but I was small and they were huge, so they had no problem leading me all the way to the river.

Once we got there, they tossed me on the ground, and one of them even kicked my injured leg. The splint took most of the impact, but it still hurt when the forceful kick twisted the ankle. I wanted to start crying, but I didn't want to show them how afraid I was.

"What do you want from me?" I asked in a shaky voice.

"What do you think?" one of them spat. "Freak!"

That didn't make anything clearer to me. I tried to look for a way to escape, but I was back against the river, and the three of them were surrounding me. I really wished that they wouldn't kill me, but it had become clear to me they weren't too shy to hurt me.

"The all-mighty quarterback will pay. He shouldn't threaten me!" the guy spoke angrily and grabbed me by my shoulder, turned me around forcefully, and pushed my head deep into the cold river.

They were going to kill me, after all! I trashed around, trying to pry his hands off me so I could get some air into my lungs. I had no idea why, but the guy suddenly pulled me out of the water. He was laughing. They all were.

Another wave of fear washed over me when he pushed me back into the water and held me under it. I gave everything I had to fight back, but when I was about to win the battle in my adrenalin rush, another set of hands grabbed me.

I was losing air really fast, and I could feel the sharp rocks cutting my fingers. Then they let me get back up to breathe. They took a step back while I was gasping for air, and they just kept laughing. Only a human could be so vicious.

Pushing my wet hair away from my eyes, I turned to look at them. I was still trying to cough water out of my lungs, when one of them kicked me in my side, sending me flying on the ground, on the warm sand.